American vs. Mexican Taxidermy

Taxidermy – conserved animal remains hung on walls because they are pleasing to the eye? Let me reword. Hunted animals, killed and gutted to be hung and used as a decoration. Many find taxidermy weird and unsettling. I would agree. As a Mexican, I am obviously biased. Mexican taxidermy is a beautiful aspect to Mexican culture that reflects a new beginning.

When it comes to cow skulls, meanings and decorations vary from different cultures, backgrounds, and even families. My family specifically, has a very moral way of preserving and celebrating animals. In Mexico, my family owns a great plot of land, una parcela, where we have a wide variety of animals ranging from cows to chickens to horses. Our form of taxidermy is controversial in the aspect that some, mainly Americans, wouldn’t consider it under the American term and meaning of taxidermy. Our process differs in many ways.

First and foremost, we do not hunt or kill these animals. We wait for the animals to peacefully pass on their own. We allow for the cycle of life to continue by bringing the animals to a place where their bodies will decompose and help flourish the land around them. This allows for the bones to be the remains left. This is often done in a remote area. My family owns multiple parcelas, which allows us to carry out this tradition.

Our taxidermy consists of bringing the remains- the bones- in to clean them and decorate them. There are many ways to decorate them, with paint being the most common. Decorations also often include personal and valuable belongings and/or symbols that further elaborate on the importance and impact the deceased animal has had in our lives. We do this as a way to appreciate the beauty of our animals who throughout their lives, have provided us with resources to survive. Oftentimes, a family receives the remains of another family’s cow to decorate. However, a cow’s skull will never be decorated if the cow was not treated with dignity throughout its lifetime. This is because our objective is to appreciate the beauty and positives in life, in the lives that were cherished. 

MEXICAN BUFFALO SKULL | Cow skull art, Painted cow skulls, Skull decor
Image of a traditional Mexican cow skull.

Overall, the Mexican and American views of taxidermy are incredibly different. Both cultures have meanings behind their actions. However, I strongly believe that Mexican Taxidermy values much more meaningful concepts and morals compared to the traditional ways of hunting and gutting. It’s incredibly important to admire the beauty around us which is what my culture successfully expresses.

One thought on “American vs. Mexican Taxidermy

1. Henry Harrison

I never knew that there were different forms of taxidermy and so I found this post really insightful on a different method of how to admire an animal after its passing. I have grown up seeing a lot of taxidermy in my life as my grandfather is quite obsessed with it but have always found it creepy. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in that sentiment and that in Mexican culture it is more typical to let the animal pass before using it as a decoration.

Reply