“This work began in Sanford Mirling’s sculpture class, The Artist Collective and as a response to the prompt: make an environment for something. Working together, Hannah and I initially chose to make a room in which you felt happier when you left it. As the project progressed, we decided to achieve this by contrasting the natural with the synthetic. Dealing with the feelings of happiness and sad-ness, we purposely left the room free of objects so that it would lend itself to impressions but not specific memories. We wanted the outside of the sculptureto appear seamless with the work’s environment, as though it were growing out of Battell Beach. As a material, sod is very strange because it is a naturally grow-ing product but typically used in highly manicured settings. While the sod allows the box to blend with and grow out of the grass surrounding it, as a material that can be manipulated into a box, it underscores the more nuanced relationship between our conception of the real and artificial.”
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 24.0F, Light Snow - 6:39 AM EDT Mar. 10Temperature: 24.0°F | Humidity: 87% | Pressure: 29.74in (Steady) | Conditions: Light Snow | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 3.0mph
- Winter Storm Watch - Expires: 8:00 AM EDTWinter Storm Watch for Addison County in effect until 8:00 AM EDT on March 13, 2014
- Monday as of Mar. 10 4:05 AM EDTMonday - Overcast with a chance of snow in the morning, then mostly cloudy. High of 41F. Winds from the South at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 30%.
- Tuesday as of Mar. 10 4:05 AM EDTTuesday - Partly cloudy with a chance of snow. High of 43F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 20%.
- Monday Night as of Mar. 10 4:05 AM EDTMonday Night - Overcast with a chance of snow in the evening, then mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Low of 30F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 40%.
- Current Conditions : 24.0F, Light Snow - 6:39 AM EDT Mar. 10