“This work began in Sanford Mirling’s sculpture class, The Artist Collective and as a response to the prompt: make an environment for something. Working together, Hannah and I initially chose to make a room in which you felt happier when you left it. As the project progressed, we decided to achieve this by contrasting the natural with the synthetic. Dealing with the feelings of happiness and sad-ness, we purposely left the room free of objects so that it would lend itself to impressions but not specific memories. We wanted the outside of the sculptureto appear seamless with the work’s environment, as though it were growing out of Battell Beach. As a material, sod is very strange because it is a naturally grow-ing product but typically used in highly manicured settings. While the sod allows the box to blend with and grow out of the grass surrounding it, as a material that can be manipulated into a box, it underscores the more nuanced relationship between our conception of the real and artificial.”
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 67.3F, Overcast - 2:44 AM EDT Sep. 2Temperature: 67.3°F | Humidity: 93% | Pressure: 29.87in ( Falling) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: WSW | Wind Speed: 0.0mph
- Tuesday Night as of Sep. 1 11:00 PM EDTTuesday Night - Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain in the evening, then mostly cloudy. Low of 64F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.
- Tuesday as of Sep. 1 11:00 PM EDTTuesday - Mostly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain, then a chance of a thunderstorm and rain showers in the afternoon. High of 86F. Winds from the SSW at 5 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
- Wednesday as of Sep. 1 11:00 PM EDTWednesday - Mostly cloudy in the morning, then clear. High of 82F. Winds from the West at 5 to 10 mph.
- Current Conditions : 67.3F, Overcast - 2:44 AM EDT Sep. 2