One of the two cherry trees on campus is in full bloom, and the one on the north of it is getting close. I will confess that I don’t exactly know what kind of cherry tree this is-one of the drawbacks to going to a university in the north. (University of Vermont) We’re not exactly a hotbed of cherry knowledge up here. In fact, it’s not even supposed to live up here. If I had to guess, I think it’s a Sargent Cherry, Prunus sargentii. So for those keeping track, that’s starting at about 75 growing degree days. For those that read a post a while ago saying I would write a post about growing degree days, I haven’t forgotten you.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emerald Ash Borer Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 80.2F, Scattered Clouds - 6:14 PM EDT May. 30Temperature: 80.2°F | Humidity: 72% | Pressure: 29.93in (Rising) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: SSW | Wind Speed: 8.0mph
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning - Expires: 7:15 PM EDTSevere Thunderstorm Warning for Addison County in effect until 7:15 PM EDT on May 30, 2015
- Special Statement - Expires: 6:30 PM EDTSpecial Statement for Addison County in effect until 6:30 PM EDT on May 30, 2015
- Sunday as of May. 30 5:24 PM EDTSunday - Rain likely. High 57F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
- Saturday as of May. 30 5:24 PM EDTSaturday - Thunderstorms, some may contain heavy rain. Lows overnight in the upper 50s.
- Saturday Night as of May. 30 5:24 PM EDTSaturday Night - Heavy thunderstorms this evening will give way to steady rain overnight. A few storms may be severe. Low 59F. S winds shifting to NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
- Current Conditions : 80.2F, Scattered Clouds - 6:14 PM EDT May. 30