One of the two cherry trees on campus is in full bloom, and the one on the north of it is getting close. I will confess that I don’t exactly know what kind of cherry tree this is-one of the drawbacks to going to a university in the north. (University of Vermont) We’re not exactly a hotbed of cherry knowledge up here. In fact, it’s not even supposed to live up here. If I had to guess, I think it’s a Sargent Cherry, Prunus sargentii. So for those keeping track, that’s starting at about 75 growing degree days. For those that read a post a while ago saying I would write a post about growing degree days, I haven’t forgotten you.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 16.0F, Overcast - 6:07 AM EST Dec. 13Temperature: 16.0°F | Humidity: 81% | Pressure: 29.90in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: SE | Wind Speed: 1.0mph
- Winter Storm Watch - Expires: 7:00 PM ESTWinter Storm Watch for Addison County in effect until 7:00 PM EST on December 15, 2013
- Friday as of Dec. 13 4:00 AM ESTFriday - Partly cloudy with a chance of snow. High of 21F with a windchill as low as -2F. Winds from the WNW at 5 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 40%.
- Saturday as of Dec. 13 4:00 AM ESTSaturday - Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow in the morning, then overcast with a chance of snow. High of 16F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 70%.
- Friday Night as of Dec. 13 4:00 AM ESTFriday Night - Partly cloudy. Low of 0F. Winds from the SE at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the NE after midnight.
- Current Conditions : 16.0F, Overcast - 6:07 AM EST Dec. 13