This fellowship is a staff position through August 2014 at Environmental affairs department, Middlebury college . Familiarity with current student sustainability initiatives and student leadership strongly preferred. Candidates who are Middlebury graduates preferred.
Salary/Wage: $29,278 Hiring Minimum.
Thirty percent of the Sustainability Communications & Outreach Coordinator’s job is designing and implementing culture and behavior change programs with the Director of Sustainability that will help members of the Middlebury College community to engage more effectively in practices of sustainability. About 30% is communicating Middlebury’s sustainability initiatives and the success stories of individuals and groups to internal and external audiences through writing, speaking, video, and managing the Sustainability website and Franklin Environmental Center at Hillcrest Facebook page. An additional 15% is compiling data and producing reports for assessments such as the Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System (STARS). The remaining 25% is performing administrative tasks for Middlebury’s sustainability initiatives.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Support, coordinate, train and motivate students to build successful initiatives aimed at promoting sustainability on campus.
- Serve as a conduit for communication between students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and Middlebury community members with sustainability interests and ideas.
- Write copy and other documentation for distribution to internal and external audiences. Prepare nominations for awards and other recognitions of excellence and achievements.
- Compile news announcements into electronic newsletter.
- Maintain the Sustainability website. Keep content current.
- Manage and post content to the Franklin Environmental Center at Hillcrest Facebook page.
- Take, edit and place photos and videos.
- Work closely with Communications staff to produce video and multimedia stories for the internet about the efforts of Middlebury students, faculty and staff that demonstrate leadership and learning about creating a sustainable future.
- Speak publicly about Middlebury’s sustainability initiatives.
- Design and produce visually stimulating materials for effective message communication in print advertising, online, posters, grassroots marketing, etc.
Expectation of the employee
- Adheres to Middlebury’s Policy and Procedures
- Acts as a role model within and outside Middlebury
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about issues and progress
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Consistently meets deadlines negotiated and set with supervisor
- Meets productivity standards
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis as this position is open untill filled. For the best chance of being offered an interview, applicants should apply as soon as possible. To apply go to : https://middlebury.igreentree.com/CSS_MIDD_External/CSSPage_JobDetail.ASP?T=20120508070844&
Anticipated Start Date: July 1 or as soon thereafter as possible.
We seek: a well-organized and self-directed individual who is a quick learner and a team player; an intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills; and a is a good educator and mentor for students and others working with the Office of Sustainability Integration.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to devise and carry out data collection and analysis methodology to demonstrate the failure/success of programs implemented in a complex environment with many constraints.
Writing and Communicating Ability:
Ability to produce clear written documentation for technical and non-technical audiences. Ability to produce short video stories about sustainability successes and challenges that take place on the Middlebury Campus and beyond. Ability to self-edit most typographic and grammatical errors.
- Ability to speak persuasively and confidently to large and diverse audiences.
- Ability to tailor speaking to fit the audience.
- This job will require a high level of skill with multiple forms of media hardware and software (video shooting and editing, photography, audio recording, graphic design).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, graphic design, video editing and website management will be essential.
Education and Training:
Bachelor’s degree or four years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience required.