Harrassment by Male Sports Media Members

The lack of acceptance and outright hostility towards female members of sports media by their male counterparts is well-documented and widespread. The majority of comments by the male figures stem from the male gaze and the absurd double standard of the need for the women to be attractive to hold these jobs. Following are some of the more notable instances of these occurrences.

Kirk Minihane Comments on Erin Andrews:

First comments: What a bitch! I hate her! What a gutless bitch! Seriously, go away. Drop dead. I mean, seriously what the hell is wrong with her? First of all, follow up. Second of all, the guy admitted he did it. He admitted it. He told reporters he threw a couple of pipe bombs. How is that social media’s fault? I hate her. I seriously hate her so much. Social media is the reason she has a big house! Shut up. Shut up. I shouldn’t call her a bitch, I’m sure she’s a nice person.”

After his “Apology”:

I will say this. I think she stinks at her job. I don’t think she’s very smart, I don’t think she comes across as very smart. I think Fox only hired her because she’s good-looking. I think if she weighed 15 pounds more she’d be a waitress at Perkins. That’s what I believe.” 

Kirk Minihane (Dennis and Callahan, WEEI Boston Sports Radio)

WEEI Boston Sports Radio elected to neither suspend nor fire Minihane for his comments; essentially supporting his statements and allowing for the continuation of such practices.

Tony Kornheiser Comments on the Outfit of Hannah Storm:

When ESPN personality Hannah Storm wore this outfit on her segment, fellow ESPN personality Tony Kornheiser felt it necessary to unleash the following comments on his national television show:

Hannah Storm Wearing the Outfit in Question

These vicious comments underline the absurd double standard present in sports media. Kornheiser did not speak to her skills and merits-instead choosing to attack her age, wardrobe, and physique.