Ascending into the Stratosphere

There’s something unequivocally liberating about living by the sea. The landlocked blues cannot subdue me here. The atmosphere somehow relaxes the clocks and the schedules that presume to restrict my days.

When I’m feeling uninspired or confined, all it takes is to look out across the sea, and I immediately feel free and new again. Nothing obstructs my view of the horizon. I am looking out over unfathomable depths, to unimaginable lengths. I am reminded that I do not live in a box; I am mobile, I am unbound.

Some days I feel like a balloon ascending into the stratosphere. But that is not to say that I am unattached, or not a part of something. I am a part of everything, and everything is a part of me. The sea, the sky, the air, even my neighbor. We are all buoys in the undulating currents of the universe.

And so it is for you.

“I find I can pull beauty, joy, and grace out of the ether anytime I want.” – Jenny Pell

Cassandra Stedham is a student of International Policy Studies at the Monterey Institute of International Studies, and is working toward a career in International Journalism. You can read more at her blog, Talk to a Stranger.

Posted in The WIP Talk