Maradona’s Spell

I still seem to be hearing the Mexican sportscaster shouting in the radio for more than one minute, “Dieguitooooo, Dieguitoooooo, Diego Armando Maradonaaaaaaa!” after the Argentine soccer player scored his second goal against the British during the 1986 World Cup that Argentina won beating West Germany in the final game. He had good reason to shout. Diego Armando Maradona (now Argentina’s coach at the World Cup) had scored his second goal after dribbling six British players (including the goalkeeper) in what is commonly known as “The Goal of the Century.”
Never mind that his first goal during that game was also the most infamous in soccer’s history since it was made striking the ball with his left hand. Maradona was initially evasive about that goal saying that it had been scored “a little with Maradona’s head and a little with the hand of God.” Since then that goal is known as the “Hand of God,” or “la mano de Dios.” Only in 2005 did Maradona acknowledge that he had used his hand on purpose and that he knew the goal was invalid but the goal stood, to the dismay of the British players.
As a special tribute to him, the Mexican officials at the Aztec Stadium where the game took place built a statue of him scoring the second goal and placed it at the entrance to the stadium. That helped ensure that he would always be remembered as one of the greatest players in soccer’s history. In March of 2010, The Times of London chose him as number 1 among The Greatest 10 World Cup players of all time.
For decades Diego Maradona has been the most admired (and for many the most reviled) sportsman in the world. But whether one likes him or not, nobody can deny that he is a unique character in the world of sports. In trips I took to several countries around the world I always found the same reaction after saying that I was an Argentine. Maradona! Maradona! people shouted. It could be a small city in China or a remote town in Africa. Everybody knew Maradona. And now, as the coach for the Argentine team in the South African World Cup, people are still talking about him.
He was an unlikely soccer star, since he is extremely short, although very sturdy. His two strong legs seemed to anchor him to the ground. He could start dribbling his opponents with maniacal speed and dexterity, as he did during the 1986 World Cup. He was a generous player, always sending the ball to a better placed teammate.
But great as his gifts as a player were, so were his personal shortcomings. While playing in Italy for the Napoli team he made it the most successful in its history leading it to winning its only two Italian Championships in 1986/87 and 1989/90 and the Coppa Italia in 1987. At the same time, however, he intensified his cocaine habit for which he was given steep fines and was suspended from soccer for 15 months in 1991. In 1994 he was sent home from the World Cup in the USA for using ephedrine. He retired from soccer in 1997.
He has suffered from serious health problems and gained considerable weight, in addition to continuing use of cocaine. In 2005, a stomach stapling operation helped him overcome his weight problem and after stopping his cocaine addiction he became a popular TV host in Argentina. In 2008, despite his lack of managerial experience, he was named head coach of the Argentine soccer team. Several defeats of the team in international games made many doubt his technical capacity as a coach.
But Maradona continues to be well… just Maradona. He is still his same defiant, arrogant self. Much as I dislike his antics I am still thankful to him. Years ago I was traveling in several Asian countries when I arrived in Bangladesh. After finishing my work there I was at the airport when a customs officer asked me if I had any cash with me. I told him that I had $2,000. The officer then asked me, “Where is the form that you have to fill?” Surprised I responded “What form?”
Upon hearing this, the officer started yelling at me, saying “You damned foreigners are all the same. You come to this country, make money, don’t pay taxes and then just leave, without caring about anything!” Startled, I started mumbling a response when he asked me, “Where are you from?” After I answered “Argentina” he said, obviously overwhelmed, “Oh, Argentina, Maradona, Maradona, just continue, Sir, please, there is no problem, no problem at all!”
César Chelala is a writer on human rights and foreign policy issues.

Posted in The WIP Talk, Uncategorized