Zambian President Rupiah Bwezani Banda hides his failures by firing

Rupiah hides his failures by firing Defense Chiefs
Derrick Sinjela-A personal View point
PERHAPS as an indication of a failed leadership, President Rupiah Bwezani Banda avoided talking real issues at last weeks Press Conference opting to waste valuable time provided by tax payers through the event on the academic replacement of all three defense forces leadership.
Instead of taking advantage of the presidential platform, provided by State House Grounds, President Banda missed the opportunity to reassure the Zambian public and the international community on corrective measures being taken to address pertinent questions.
In a way justifying the failure, Press Aide Dickson Jere discouraged journalists from asked questions outside the perimeter of the Presidents sacking of defense force chiefs.
Making the changes a somewhat uninspiring but arrogant sounding, President Banda sought solace in the argument that the changes were meant to motivate junior officers to aspire for higher portfolio’s within the three arms of defense in Zambia.
However, barely before these words could dry on the lips of the Zambian Head of State, Andrew Sakala, an Easterner, like President Banda, was recalled from retirement to take step into the leadership shoes of Lieutenant General Mapala at the Zambia Airfare.
Secondly, seeking effective control of security wings ahead of heated contest for the Presidency in 2011, Banda reiterated that Zambia made been peaceful since 1964.
Though he praised the trio for working diligently, President Banda let the cat out of the hat by suggestively hinting on some semblance of lack of loyalty.
“Zambia has been peaceful and stable. The last three years, from the illness till the demise of President Levy Patrick Mwanawasa, a tense period has prevailed. The peace enjoyed in our country can be attributed to a number of reasons among them to the character of the Zambian people. The defense and security forces of Zambia have fought enemies meant to destabilize Zambia and served us well as peace keepers. I want to commend ZAF, ZNS, Zambia Army and the Zambia Police Force for defending Zambia and maintaining peace. I want to commend leadership for providing leadership. As Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, I am proud to have been associated with them and I thank. Even as I effect these retirements, I am confident that they shall continue to remain patriotic to Zambia. The retirements are in no way a reason of failure but necessary in the life,” President Banda made a case.
President Banda argued that several middle to high ranking officers had expressed concern at slow pace of appointments.
“These changes meant to encourage and motivate the next generation. I hope and trust that the changes I have made I urge new appointees to remain loyal and be above board. So that Zambia can continue to grow socially and economically.
In retiring Zambia Army (ZA) Commander, Lieutenant General Isaac Chisuzi, Zambia Air Force (ZAF) Commander, Samuel Mapala, and Zambia National Service (ZNS) Commander, Major-General Raphael Chisheta, President Banda acknowledged their loyalty.
“I wish to thank the trio for serving Zambia with diligence and loyalty. I do hope he will accept to be deployed elsewhere,” President Banda said.
As fate has always been, the trio and their deputies are most likely to be posted to the diplomatic service with one of them scheduled to replace recalled Zambian ambassador to Libya, Mulondwe Muzungu.
Major Sandy Lopa is new Zambia Army Commander. All Armed Forces Deputy Commandants were equally sacked.
“I have spoken to the three men at the top of the defense forces and the trio is convinced that I mean well. Do not read the opposite of my decision and I am certain that God knows that I mean well,” President Banda protested when quizzed by journalists.
Interestingly, President Banda shied away from discussing pertinent issues such Governments lasting solution to floods, given public concern that mere relocation of victims to the independence stadium land was not ideal.
Stakeholders expected President Banda to have addressed preparations for next year’s tripartite elections, his frequent and costly foreign trips, including the failure to address issues of bread and butter.
Critics would have been sent packing had President Banda assured the nation that the ruling Movement for Multiparty Democracy (MMD) was not interested in eliminating Patriotic Front (PF) leader Michael Sata and Hakainde Hichilema, viewed as his (RB) biggest threat on remaining a State House tenant after the September 2011 elections.

Posted in The WIP Talk, Uncategorized