Sundance: The Parties

Party2.JPG
The snow is not the ideal place to keep your beer cold. Photograph by Jessica Mosby.

One of my favorite parts about Sundance is the free magazines. You will often spot me sitting alone drinking a cup of coffee and reading. I can be easily spotted by my too hip new haircut (why yes, I do have short fringe bangs), and my general avoidance of talking to strangers. This might not make any sense because, if you knew me, you would know that I am a talker. But I only talk to people once formally introduced by a friend or acquaintance. I do not go up and just strike up a conversation with strangers. As part of my 2009 New Year’s resolution, I decided to change that. And what better place to start than Sundance!
I talked to a lot people at this year’s festival. I exchanged business cards, discussed films, and generally attempted to be sociable. I even made a few new friends who I hope to see again! It was great to have other people to attend screening with, especially when they saved me a seat!
For all the fun, films, and friends, Sundance is also place to be humbled. Before the festival, I mentioned in a purposely nonchalant manner to anyone that would listen that I would be out of town at Sundance – the film festival! People were impressed, or at least feigned enthusiasm. Once I arrived in Park City, I put proudly wore my enormous credentials outside my coat for everyone to see. My first night out on the town I lived it up with free drinks and food. I even received some SWAG, albeit them odd and totally useless things. And I received some emails informing me that I was on the guest list for a number of parities. Oh yes, I was feeling rather good about myself!
And then I was smacked down, so to speak. It all started on the first Friday night (i.e. Day 2). Before going to a late screening, I decided that I needed some free food and drinks. I went to one of my favorite sponsored venues, a place that had welcomed me with open arms the night before; I’d even received a velvet bag! I confidently walked up to the door, my credentials very visible, and was promptly asked if I was on the list for such and such event. I was not on the list. But before I could be formally rejected, some guys interrupted asking about the party for Brooklyn’s Finest (a new Richard Gere movie), which was happening upstairs. I quickly hurried away.
I consoled myself with the fact that I was on the guest for parties later that night! I would surely get into those parties, and then bask in the glow of celebrity.
Later Friday night my new friends and I hit Main Street with nothing but the world in front of us. We strolled up to the first party only to find a long line. We waited. I told the bouncer, “I’m on the list.” We waited some more. Finally we (and the 50 other people outside) were told that the venue was at capacity, and we’d have to wait. My friends and I moved on.
A few stops later we ended up at a party where the drinks were not free and the sponsor was unknown. Before leaving we noticed a girl standing topless in the middle of the party having her chest painted (think carnival face painting). The fact that she wasn’t wearing a shirt and being painted was confusing, especially because she was alone in this artistic endeavor. I turned to my friend and said, “At least she’s wearing pants.” My friend replied, “The pants are painted on. She’s naked.” Let me tell you, those were some very detailed oriented pants someone painted on her.
For a moment I felt like Don Draper of Mad Men in the Palm Springs episodes (Mad Men was on my mind after seeing the advertising documentary Art and Copy). I felt like I was going down the rabbit hole, and half expected to see Hugh Hefner hanging out in a nearby grotto. Standing naked in a room full of people staring at you is very degrading – and really bizarre. And it’s definitely not putting the focus on films.

party2.JPG
Revelers wait in line on Saturday night hoping for a good time at Park City’s many Sundance related parties. Photograph by Jessica Mosby.

Saturday night I decided to tackle Main Street alone. At 10:30 p.m. I left my hotel and was not surprised to see that the obligatory SUVs had finally arrived. Girls in short skirts and high heels (aren’t they cold and scared of falling?) filled the snowy streets. After waiting in the ridiculously long lines for what seemed like forever (but was actually about 10 minutes), I realized that being on the guest list wasn’t really that exciting if you can’t make it in the door. After walking around some more, I decided to head back to my hotel, my hand warmers were dying, my nose was chapped, and I couldn’t feel my cheeks or ears.
But there’s always Sundance 2010!

Posted in The WIP Talk, Uncategorized