Simple Words

by Chiwan Choi
Managing Editor, The WIP

1933 Was a Bad Year. That was the book that let me breathe. I kept reading the author’s name on the cover. John Fante. John Fante. John Fante. He’d written this book, this magnificent book that had no equal, with what felt like just a handful of words, simple words that even I could understand. And while others were trying to explain to me why a limp book like The Great Gatsby was the greatest American novel, I held the bent and stained library copy of 1933 Was a Bad Year in my hands and kept smiling as if I had found some secret that the world had been keeping from me in this thin book, as if I could now have a relationship with my father, because it was the first time I looked at a piece of writing and was able to say, “That’s me. This writer is me. This Italian man from Colorado is me. He is writing about my life which I was told many times that nobody cared about.”

I can tell you all the reasons that I am part of the odd group of people that makes up the staff of The WIP. I can tell you about the imbalance in mainstream media. I can show you eye-opening stats. I can tell you that I am here because of some noble cause inside me. I can say that I am here to change some political climate or something.

But the real reason for me is the handful of words, simple clean words, that have come in from so many writers around the world. The sentences and paragraphs and short stories often written in broken English more perfect than the Chicago Manual of Style. The images and moments that linger with me like a single basil leaf.

Because that’s how my life goes on. From moment to moment. Image to image. And from the past five days that I have spent up here in Monterey launching The WIP, in Carmel and the beautiful coastline and trees of Big Sur, and the tranquility of Prunedale, what I’ll remember most are the small things that enrich my life without end: our Jewish/Christian junior editor giving an impromptu beatboxing concert at our cheap hotel; our 25 year-old Italian/Canadian Iraq war vet intern who speaks more Korean than I do; the way the chicken smelled coming out of the oven at the Daniels’ home; me sitting on the ground of the parking lot of the Surf Inn at 3 a.m., using the weak wireless connection to update the headlines for the day, excited beyond words and ideas and issues, proud and wondering how long it would be before I can figure out efficiency and stop sitting in the cold.

Posted in FEATURE ARTICLES, The WIP Editorial
9 comments on “Simple Words
  1. Alexandra Daniels says:

The smell of baked chicken and the foggy chill of 3am on the coast came right came right on down to L.A. through your inspired writing. Thank you Chi, you guys are amazing.

2. icci says:

Clean…unsophisticated…. it really feels like you in presence 😉
    thanks for showing honesty and simplicity—–lets us (novice/ non-writers) feel like we can write, the way we live.

3. Louise says:

Lovely Chi.

4. VK Narayanan says:

Coming from TP wireservice. Amazing writing! Great attitude! Best wishes to all of you and team at The WIP. Cheers!

5. anita Silver says:

Truly inspired writing. Best wishes to all of you… looking forward to many more inspired issues.
    Kate and Ali, I too remember the smell of baked chicken coming from your home, and those wonderful foggy evenings.
    Much love
    Anita

6. Vicki Whicker says:

Chi,
    So nice, so simple, like driving through a Santa Barbara rainstorm with brand new wipers.
    Congratulations Managing Editor!
    VW

7. Sharon Mosier says:

Chi, congratulations! Best of luck to you and the rest of the WIP team. Now off to the bookstore to pick up a copy of “1933 Was A Bad Year”!
    Sharon

8. Nancy Stephens says:

Chi, thank you for your clear clean heartfelt writing. I too feel after reading your artical that I could and will contribute in some way, spreading the word about the W.I.P. being one.
    Kate, I am sorry I could not after all make it to the opening I was however there in spirit and with love I send you and the
    staff a warm congratulations
    Nancy Stephens

9. Lisa Becker says:

Chiwan:
    You put me right there with you…like you always
    do. I can smell the chicken and feel the cold cement
    under my ass. Beautiful writing. Simple and stunning.
    Lisa Becker