An education in the 21st Century

Sitting in class, listening to the statistics on the digital divide, it’s hard not to believe that technology might be the key to ending poverty. Now before I come off like the Canadian socialist that I am, I should probably add that I don’t actually believe that we can eliminate poverty by putting computers in schools. I do however believe that media literacy education might be the key to reducing the performance gap between schools… If we do it right.

It’s almost common knowledge that the internet is the largest and most comprehensive resource that the human race has ever seen. With an internet connection, you can talk to people from around the world, look up the answer to any question, and engage in social networking. That having been said, the rich have an unprecedented advantage in media literacy. It’s been consistently shown that the wealthy have greater access to technology as well as a better understand of how it can work to their advantage. Inversely, the poor don’t have the same access to information. More than anything, this inequity just furthers the cycle of poverty.

By educating all students in media literacy, you bring up the average. By educating students on how to properly use media, you don’t just teach students how to turn on a computer – you teach them how to search for jobs, use websites like Khan Academy and Wolfram Alpha, and use resources like Google and Google Scholar. A digital education is important because it equips students with tools that will help them far beyond the classroom. Having a working understanding of the internet will help kids across the country grapple with social and political issues as well as educational tasks. What’s important in the 21st century isn’t knowledge but the skills that will allow them to succeed. Never has a class like this been so important.

4 thoughts on “An education in the 21st Century

1. I couldn’t agree more. This makes me reflect on the opportunities that I had growing up with an internet connection and a computer in my room. If I didn’t have these resources, I would not have been academically competitive. Modern education is seemingly reliant on digital media. Becoming literate in digital media is a vital aspect of education these days.

2. Nice article. You mentioned that schools should be putting computers in their classrooms (similar to MUMS), but how do you suggest people of lower income access technology away from school if they can’t afford it?

-Another Canadian Socialist

• Cameron,

Until computers and internet access become dirt cheap, the wealthy are always going to have an advantage when it comes to technology. In reality they can just afford to use it more than the poor can. That having been said, I do think the digital media education can work to reduce that disparity. In addition, I think that a DML education can help students learn to learn key tasks. For example, learning how to google is a skill that will help students not look up information but that will also help them think critically and sort through information effectively.

I think that a class like our FYSE combined with more funding put toward improved public school computer labs could really make a difference. I think that the digital divide is here to stay, the question is, how do we shrink it opposed to allowing it from widen?