Live Blogging The President’s Speech

OK, technology permitting – we will be live blogging the President’s speech.  As  always, comments welcome.

We’ll  be watching on the local  PBS affiliate.

He begins with the family analogy.  For once, I’d like a politician to say, “Guess what – this is the government.  It’s nothing like your family!”

Hmmm – there are two options:  my reasonable bipartisan way, and then there’s the other way.

A cuts only approach – notably, the Reid plan does not include any revenue increases, as far as I can tell.

I’m  not sure the corporate jet/oil company versus ailing grandmother symbolism has much punch these days.   The debate has become so polarized that I think independents are going to tune this rhetoric out.

Interesting use of previous Republican figures to push the “balanced” approach – think he’ll cite his vote as a Senator against raising the debt ceiling?  didn’t think so.

So,  who do you think this speech is targeting?  Independents?

This part of the speech, I think, is more effective  – a reasonable argument (even if somewhat disingenuous) against the Boehner two-step plan.

Let’s see if he gives a veto threat.

Nope.

This is a surprisingly unsurprising speech – as expected, he is trying both to position himself above the fray while injecting himself subtly into the fray by pushing – but not too hard! – for the Reid plan.

Ah, a direct appeal to the people to pressure their member of Congress.  Most research suggests these appeals aren’t particularly effective at changing minds in Congress.

Am I reading the Reid plan wrong – does it actually raise revenues? I didn’t think so, but I may be wrong.

In any case, Obama finishes with the appeal  to our better angels, citing the Framers, history of compromise, etc.  God Bless America!

Let’s see what Boehner has to say in reply.

OW!  What’s with the green tie!

Why is it always a small business?  Why can’t someone come on and say they once headed a Fortune 500 conglomerate?  I’d be more impressed.

Boehner doesn’t seem any more interested in looking forward  than did Obama – both sides are pointing fingers and rehashing the budget talk breakdown.

How does Boehner define “bipartisanship”?  How many Democratic votes did CCB actually get?  Five votes?  And what constitutes the “bipartisanship” leadership of the Senate that has signed onto the House bill?  One Democratic interested in discussing the House bill?

Well, that was quick!

I have to think these speeches will have absolutely no impact on public opinion.  But they are a reminder that,publicly, the two sides are very very far apart.  Whether they are any closer behind the scenes I can’t tell.  But they aren’t signaling any give on either side.

They stared into the camera, and neither one blinked.

Stay tuned… .