Technology and Long-Distance Dating

The title of this class is “Media Technology and Cultural Change”; well, this spring break I’ve bared witness to how new technology and things like the internet have enabled long-distance relationships (which will coincidentally be my topic for a project in another class that I am currently taking). Just 20 years ago, letters and phone-calls were the primary modes of communication.  Letters would typically take 3-5 days to arrive depending on the person’s location and phone calls were usually limited to house phones–cell phones had yet to be owned on such a large scale.

The internet, which has platforms like iChat, AIM, MSN messenger, Skype, e-mail, etc., has allowed for people to communicate in a much easier, much more direct fashion, which in turn, gives long-distance relationships a higher chance of success. I was talking to my aunt the other day and she told me how the “love of her life” and she lived very far away from each other, communication was harder, and they would not be moving near each other any time soon. In time, they had both found other people and moved on, even though they still loved each other. It wasn’t until they got divorces and met up many years later that they were finally able to be together (15 years later).

However, I wondered, well…if they had had Skype, would distance have been as much of an issue if there was almost face-to-face contact everyday? It’s proven that the internet is a viable place to meet someone (Match.com, LavaLive, etc.), therefore it is not that far of a stretch to say that it is a great way to keep current long-distance relationships alive (for longer, at least). This is a perfect example of “cultural change.” With the internet, it is now easier to have a significant other in Denmark…England…Australia…wherever you want.