Feed on
Posts
Comments

Blog on Blogs

As everyone on campus should know, Middlebury will soon launch a new website.  The new site, designed by an outfit called White Whale, will support videos, slide shows, enhanced search features, and other bells and whistles.  I won’t try to explain the significance of these enhancements—why this build out will be better than our current web—since people who know far more about the design than I do have already done so (for instance, check out the web makeover discussion or MiddBlog).

But I do want to engage some of the assumptions that have guided the development of the new website, and ask some questions.

Assumption #1:  as we transfer more and more content from print to the web—an inevitability, given the ever-increasing importance of the internet—the ways in which we communicate as an institution may change.

Conventional wisdom has it that writing on the web should be more concise than writing in print since reading big chunks of prose on a screen is difficult and peoples’ attention spans are more limited.  On the other hand, the web is an ideal platform for video and audio, which means that much of the storytelling on the new site will take shape as pictures and sound.   This shift is already evident in the press releases that our Communications office sends to external news agencies.  While these news releases were once pure prose, and perhaps some pictures, they are now likely to include video.  For instance, check out the story that recently appeared in the Chronicle of Higher Education; the video in this story was made by Stephen Diehl.

The implications of this shift are interesting to consider.   How would students like to receive an email from the President that contains a video message rather than a written memo?    To what extent should administrators and college offices experiment with multi-media in communicating with the campus?  As our web evolves to accommodate new forms of media, how should our internal forms of communication change?  This is a real question, but please, no Twitter.

Assumption #2: more interactivity is better, and everyone likes a blog.

Okay, I am exaggerating a little, but it is true that the new website will give more attention to blogs that currently exist and new blogs that have yet to emerge.  The idea here is that blogs are great forums for debate and discussion, and a more “authentic” (read “less institutional”) vehicle for enabling people (especially prospective students) to learn about the College.  And, yes, they can also be important forums for students, faculty, and staff.

A number of community members already run blogs, and some of them are very good.  For a partial survey of Middlebury blogs, see this list and follow the sidebar links on MiddBlog (MiddBlog, by the way, deserves kudos for leading the way on this front).   However, the College blogosphere is not especially thick; some would say we are not really a blogging community.   Is this a problem, a drawback, a good thing, or just the way it is?  I am not asking for a referendum on any particular blog—my own included—but wondering about the concept in general.  If blogging is a good thing for Middlebury, how should we foster its development?

Assumption #3: we can use the web to build community at Middlebury.

The word “community” is heavily loaded, and deserves more discussion than I can give it now, but one promise of the internet—often debated by specialists—is that the internet can foster democratic forms of communication and action (political and otherwise).   This promise is worth bearing in mind as we move forward with the new website.   While on the one hand, the content on the web, especially the front page, will be subject to editorial control, with the Communications office managing the main pages, on other hand, there will be more opportunities for people to upload and post content.  For instance, there is already a process in place for people to submit stories that might be posted on the site.  Theoretically, as this new website evolves, it could become more “wiki”-like in its function, and community members could play a significant role in building the site.  In order for this to happen, however, people will need to be committed to making the web a live and vital site.   Assuming this is a good thing—and maybe I shouldn’t make this assumption—how can the College foster this sort of involvement?

Comments, as always, are welcome.

81 Responses to “Blog on Blogs”

1. Nytsec says:

8uhll;k9o

2. Lucy Ross says:

How nice! What is the natural look like opening an eye. Thanks for sharing this nice article.

3. Lucy Ross says:

4. hasan says:

thans for the information. I like this. Arithmatica Social

5. pabaiq says:

thanks for the information. Arithmatica Social

6. kethrine johns says:

outstanding

7. agrilearner says:

thanks dear for this wonderful blog love to read it check out my blog it is contant rich blog please approve my comment
    Tnau Agri Portal

8. Uriah Dentoy says:

I believe you should see https://www.kiwibox.com/Gabion/blog/entry/145911563/omegle-talk-to-freaks-or-strangers/ if you want to talk to strangers on omegle.

9. Kavin Harsh says:

we found this website very great and we just wanna thank you for that. I hope you keep up this perfect work!

10. lahiru says:

good article . my web site -https://ceyloncinnamonlk.com

11. Ankit says:

Thanks for your valuable effort in writing this amazing topic.”

12. Arnav Anand says:

Visit forpressrelease.com

I was very delight to find out this web-site.I i give you thanks on your time for this
    excellent read!! I without doubt enjoyed each little bit of it.
    So Thanks You for Information.

13. PersianMohajer says:

I’d like to say that your article is kind of true, so I’m glad to read about it. Thank you so much.
    مهاجرت به کانادا

14. soalbagus says:

Thanks for the information, very inspiring soal pts sd kelas 1 2 3 4 5 6

15. webarshi says:

best software development company in ranchi, best website development company in Ranchi, website design company in ranchi
    Website Design Company in Ranchi

16. Baju kelas says:

I have read this its very Informative and useful..

17. artokonveksi.com says:

Hi, I liked so much the post.

18. konveksi di jogja says:

Thanks for sharing Nice content

19. konveksi di jogja says:

Assume post! This really helps me to find the answers to my question.

20. konveksi di jogja says:

Hi there, Awesome Post!!!! With unique content,I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again..

21. konveksi di jogja says:

Your topic is really interesting and you are presenting it really well! This is a great topic. I’m also really interested in knowing why so many people write blog.

22. konveksi di jogja says:

Thank you very much I was looking to find such a valuable post and finally found yours

23. konveksi di jogja says:

Great post and thanks for sharing. Well done!

24. arto jogja konveksi says:

nice article.
    arto konveksi

25. Alex says:

I was looking for your article about blogs and would like to say thanks for sharing this useful content,

Hope to read more articles like this one,

Best regards,

Alex from Brazil (Carros usados: https://seucarro.net/ )

26. Triple Hash says:

Hey This is Triple Hash. Nice Article. It was fun reading your blog.
    Thank You
    visit us:
    http://triplehash.in

27. sumit says:

Thank you for share such type of great information
    http://thewebwox.com/
    Web Development company in jharkhand

28. Nomes says:

Hi there, thanks a lot for sharing this blog and article with us, it is very explanatory and helpful!

Best regards

Salvatore from Nomes Brasil: https://www.significadosnomes.com/2013/03/nomes-estranhos.html

Greetings from brazil

29. Ozza says:

Hi, we are from jasa konveksi jogja really appreciate for your informative article. I agree with you that making blog really vital for us to reach our audience.