A Day in the Life of Maria Mejia!

Monterey County Fair

Monterey County Fair

I don’t exactly have a typical day, but I do start my days by stretching and listening to NPR One because otherwise there is no way I would get up early (6:45 is probably not early to some of you…). Plus I start my day off by listening to the current events and interesting little stories, like how scientists recently found the largest dinosaur in Argentina and named it “Dreadnoughtus”. After I am semi-awake and have eaten breakfast I rush out the door and head over to class. Wednesdays I have Marketing and Recruitment, right now we’re already in groups working with a client (a real one!) to create a marketing and recruitment plan for their Study Abroad office. My group is working on a plan for Loyola Marymount University for first-generation college students, and it’s pretty cool because some of us are first-generation college students and have studied abroad so we can talk about what were some of the challenges we faced and how we overcame them. This Wednesday we talked in our groups about our potential competitors, the strategies they were using and what made our client stand out. I’m pretty glad we have this class in the morning because it’s very interactive and helps me get into study-mode. Then from 10-12:30 I went back to my apartment and cooked some lunch, at 1:00 I headed over to Samson to meet with another group (for my Budgeting class). For this class I’m the in Learning Resources group and this week we had to create a program proposal with a budget of its own, so we met for about 2 hours to go over our final proposal and go over our Prezi presentation. Before this, I had never taken a budgeting class; it sounded like something I would dread. However, our professor and my classmates are all great and so far it’s been going really well. Then at 4:00 we headed over to class and anxiously waited to present our proposal, our goal is to convince everyone in our class that ours is the best and the one that should get funded…but of course everyone else is trying to do the same. By the end of class I’m pretty brain dead and just want to relax, but instead I finish reading a report on citizen security and how it is measured in Latin America. Then finally the fun part: Trivia at the Mucky Duck. Around 7:45 I head over to the Mucky Duck with my roommates, ready to win the free appetizer cards they give out for the winners that night. I look forward to Wednesday nights every week, though sometimes I can’t go to Trivia because of the growing mountain of readings that wait for me on my desk, but when I have some free time you can definitely spot me at one of the tables with my friends. Sadly this week we didn’t win, but at least I got to hang out with friends, learn random facts, and unwind for a bit.