Week 12 Day 1 Question 6

In “Digital Feminist Activism,” Kaitlynn Mendes and Jessica Ringrose dispute the generalization that “engaging in digital activism is easy and banal, or a form of ‘low-intensity’ activism” — at least in the case of #MeToo (38). They argue instead that participation in #MeToo is “affectively charged” and “often traumatic” for the individuals who identify with the hashtag and share their stories of sexual assault online. What do you think? Is participation in #MeToo a form of ‘low-intensity’ activism? Or is it something more substantive and transformative?

One thought on “Week 12 Day 1 Question 6

• May 15, 2022 at 3:21 pm
    Permalink

Interesting topic. I think that Mendes and Ringrose raise a great point that much of digital activism is often performative, trendy, and banal. With the #MeToo movement, I do believe that it could be more substantive as simple speech is much less powerful than action. however, I think that what makes #MeToo more powerful is that it unites women and allows women to know that they are not alone as survivors of the horrible actions of men. There is power in unity. Additionally, I believe the movement has all around raised awareness of just how frequently sexual assault/harassment happens which has brought to the table that change needs to happen. However, whether the movement has direct solutions and actions for change is what I believe weakens the movement as a whole.