Week 10 Day 2 – Pick a Passage or Pose a Question

Is there a particular passage from today’s readings that captivated you?  Do the readings raise a question for you that you would like to pose to the class? Please post it here, along with your commentary about it.

2 thoughts on “Week 10 Day 2 – Pick a Passage or Pose a Question

• April 20, 2022 at 11:49 am
    Permalink

I found “White Men as Victims” (The Men’s Rights Movement) by Kimmel to be very interesting. On passage I found to be particularly interesting was the idea that increased equality for women has increased the invasion of women on men.

The passage, “Feminism happened! Now the fucking locker room isn’t even a locker room anymore! Women have invaded everyplace! There’s nowhere a guy can go and just chill, you know, like those scenes in Knocked Up where the guys are sitting around, doing bong hits, and talking about porn? It’s like the only place you can go these days is your man cave—and if you don’t have one of those, well, there’s the Internet, those free porn sites, the men-only places, the places where guys can bitch and moan and not get so screamed at by women all the time. ” Is very interesting. It seems that according to men women have gained this “unbalanced” power and presence that they did not encompass before the feminists movements. I am not sure if I agree with this, I am sure men still can find a way to do as they please and they definitely do without feeling like they are being watched by women.

• April 19, 2022 at 1:21 pm
    Permalink

In the section “What Does the Men’s Rights Movement Want?” in Kimmel’s “White men as victims: The men’s rights movement” article, I thought the list of what they want to see change was quite interesting. Their top concern was fathers’ rights and then right under that was feminism which they listed as being harmful to men. Other points on their list that I thought were interesting were #4 (“Removing the Notion That All Men Are Potential Rapists/
    Pedophiles”), #9 (“Negative Portrayal in the Media”), and #10 (“The Male Gender Role”). I understand how men think that the “traditional male role, that is, honor, chivalry, has got to go… and no longer should men be expected to be the providers and protectors of society. Men should be free to express their feelings” (Kimmel). I think men are welcome to do this, they are just nervous to speak up and that leads me to my next bit on men’s mental health.

Paul Elam stated that his “advocacy for men predates my [his] efforts on the internet by nearly 20 years. It was my [his] experience in the mental health business of the late 1980’s and early 1990s that first awakened me [him] to the need for male-centered advocacy.” I support this statement as an ambassador for a mental health committee on campus and agree that there needs to be more male-centered advocacy when it comes to mental health. As Kimmel states, “traditional masculinity can be a fool’s errand… an effort to live up to standards set by others that leave you feeling empty, friendless…shallow… They’re scared their lives are going to amount to little. That malaise is real and important”. I think this quote speaks volumes. Men’s mental health is often overlooked and not worried about or really even thought about at all. Many men are left in the dark to deal with their struggles alone and many choose the wrong way out. But this advocacy does not need to conflict with women’s rights or blame anything or anyone. It should remain its own private entity and would make more of a change if it does.