2 thoughts on “Week 12 Day 2 Discussion Question 1

• May 4, 2022 at 2:00 pm
    Permalink

I remember hearing about this story in 2016 through the news, but I was not aware of any of the details of the case. The only reason I think I was aware of it is that I saw it as a headline on the news, and I do remember seeing Brock Turner’s mugshot. The only knowledge I had about the case at the time was that Brock Turner was a swimmer at Stanford and that he was only being sent to jail for six months for sexually assaulting a girl who was passed out behind a dumpster. This was all I knew about the case, but I was shocked that he was only going to jail for six months. After reading Channel Miller’s victim statement, it is clear that the media did a horrible job of telling her side of the story. It is apparent that there was an incredible amount of focus on Brock Turner because of his status as a potential future Olympic swimmer, which is revealed in Miller’s victim statement. She says, “And then, at the bottom of the article, after I learned about the graphic details of my own sexual assault, the article listed his swimming times.” The victim statement also reveals that he was only sentenced to 6 months in jail because a longer sentence would have “a severe impact on him.” Her statement reveals that the media was way too focused on Brock Turner’s identity and not on the horrible acts he committed. Miller’s statement is incredibly powerful and shows the real impact of Turner’s actions. Miller’s statement is very influential and has helped many women gain the courage to speak up and tell the realities of their stories and not let the media control the narrative.

• May 4, 2022 at 11:32 am
    Permalink

I’m sure that I had heard of this case before Chanel Miller wrote her victim statement, but I can’t remember hearing of it because cases like this are so common. It was only when her statement went viral that it really had an effect on me, as almost every woman in my life was talking about it. I think it stuck with me so profoundly because cases like this are typically heard from the perspective of the abuser or their lawyers as the victims understandably don’t want to come forward, so hearing it from her perspective was so unexpected and heartbreaking. Miller portrays her emotions so clearly and relatably in her writing, comparing that to the articles detailing the specifics of the case as it was happening, she made the situation more real and less like a news story, which cases like this feel like now due to how many there are and how they’re all written about in the same way.
    When her statement went viral it felt like there was a shift in how we talk about assault, as the emotions of the women were finally being put at the forefront, however, the eventual sentencing and release of Turner was still unsurprising, since it was clear the people with power weren’t as affected as everyone else.