Two contrasting lands

The Philippines is truly a beautiful place. I was lucky enough to spend a few days in the capital city of Manila before coming to Mindanao, the two were quite a contrast from each other! Manila is an enormous, populous city which is crowded and busy with various neighborhoods, much like any other capital city. When I spoke to Filipinos in Manila about my plans to go to Mindanao, many responded with a grimace and a suggestion to just go to Cebu instead. Others warned of an eminent kidnapping.

P1030622

I expected that I would be met by people in Manila with preconceived ideas of what life is like in Mindanao; they are and always have been very much removed from the conflict. I imagine that the majority of people who do not have family from Mindanao, read the news and form their biases from the negative headlines. People in “imperial Manila” might wonder why the indigenous people are still fighting for their land so long after it had been taken from them. They could ask why the Muslims in the region think they need an autonomous region, separate from the government in the rest of the country. P1030706
Mindanao is simply beautiful. Driving around the island was truly a privilege that I enjoyed very much. There were outstanding views at every turn. The fruit was the best I’ve ever had. The people were warm and hospitable. The land was green and lush and the water was the most beautiful color blue. I wonder if people in Manila ever thought of these things when they hear of Mindanao.

Beach in Mindanao

Beach in Mindanao