Here’s an example of an older tie-in game from the South Park series. It’s funny and easy to play, but the argument could be made that it addresses some issues of real importance. Check it out.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/games/cc/rescue/index.jhtml

One thought on “Tie-in game

1. I was always actually curious as to what the allure of “tie-in-games” were. As a kid, I totally fell subject to it. Harry Potter: totally sold. I mean, you could play Quidditch.
    Although somehow I always found them to be disappointing. I suppose it would be interesting to see the parallels in other media, such as movies adapted from books. I loved when I read “Atonement” a couple of years back, and I told myself that I wasn’t going to see the movie, and yet I did anyway. I wasn’t really disappointed, but it’s a different experience than the book and that made me uncomfortable.
    I suppose the familiarity is a double-edge sword: we like off-shoots of media that we already know because we have developed a sense of intimacy with it, but when it is different we are upset because it ruined our image of it, but when it’s exactly the same (such as the LOTR video-games) we are disappointed because it’s predictable. My, the media market is fickle.