3 thoughts on “Facebook Anthem

1. If I’m not mistaken everyone in this video is english, which brings up a couple of questions regarding differences b/t social networking sites across international borders. I feel like, on the one hand, anyone who has ever used facebook (American, Japanese, English, whatever) share certain things in common – in a sense, all the applications, group requests, likeness tests, etc. are a universal culture that people can understand in various nations. However, I also feel like no one uses myspace in the US anymore…is that true? And is England sort of behind the curve? Also, i sort of wonder how facebook/myspace might function in a country like China (i.e. is it monitored and restricted there)?

2. I think that Kyle brings up some good questions about social networking sites across international boarders, and I too would like to know how the various social networking sites function within other countries. I don’t know if I would say no one uses myspace in the US anymore, because if people didn’t use it anymore it wouldn’t still be there. Myspace was more popular than facebook when I was in high school, but that was before there was the high school network on facebook. How much of the downfall of myspace has to do with it becoming more corporate? more widely known? mainstream? It seems like everyone these days has a myspace account. I know many musicians who praise myspace for giving them the ablility to get themselves known a little more. If the decline in myspace was due to the fact that it became so mainstream…is this the future fate of facebook as well?

3. Myspace is for people who don’t know about Facebook… people usually characterized as single and experiencing their midlife crisis. In other words, individuals who are still behind the curve and aren’t realizing what new social networking sites are available. Also, like Kyle said, other international countries may also be behind the curve because of culture differences. Some people are old fashioned and like to stick to the classics, while the younger generation usually prevails and uses the newest and most recent technologies and platforms.

Myspace is to Facebook as whiskey is to anesthetic… I guess is one way to look at it… lol