Not to get too overly self-analytical, but I think media technology has affected me in two pretty profound ways: it has helped me develop the way I think and it has influenced the way I express myself.

My relationship with “new” media technology starts with the math games I played on my family computer way back when–on the kind of computer you had to type all the commands into.

But in order to not bore you, I’ll start with Starcraft. Playing Stracraft online at battle.net taught me how to type. I eventually got the point that I could type as fast as I could think. Beyond being able to call someone a “newb” as fast as I thought it, this gave me the freedom to express myself freely. I would soon begin journaling on a computer and thanks to password-protected documents and the speed at which I typed, I was able to get in touch with the what I was feeling in a way I could not with pen and paper.

But perhaps more importantly, Stracraft changed the way I thought. I remember designing my own map once for a Starcraft game, and interacting with what the game called “triggers.” Dealing with triggers was a very basic introduction to computer programming. At the age of around 11 I remember having this epiphany of “Wow. This is how computers work. You define things. Then you write in a weird language and things happen in your program.” Here’s a look at triggers: triggers

Learning to think in this hyper-logical way with triggers and learning to multi-task and think strategically in the game definitely had an impact on the way I approached the world in general. I would like to think that this was a positive impact.

I was also very influenced by more traditional forms of media technology. I remember staying up late in middle school to listen to love line on the radio or watching Charlie Roselate at night when I was in high school. Both shows expanded my world view (in very different ways obviously) and enabled me to see parts of the world that were outside of my everyday life.

Currently, I believe that the themes of media technology changing the way I think and allowing me to express myself more freely are still very prevalent. George Altshuler's Facebook profile
Facebook, the piece of media technology I probably use the most definitely allows me to express myself in a very unique way. I have also made youtube videos out of some poetry I’ve written (a truly 21st century way of expressing oneself, no?). Finally, reading political blogs and watching various youtube videos has expanded my world view.

Media technology has been decisive in shaping the way I think and express myself. I acknowledge that I am a fish that often has trouble seeing the water he swims in, and I look forward to learning more about this water.

2 thoughts on “George Altshuler’s Techno-Bio

1. Your post makes me think about how underutilized computer and video games are as a tool for mental (and, with the Wii, physical) development. We are so quick to associate electronic gaming with a kind of laziness, but it seems that many games can help develop almost virtuosic skills in some people.

2. I very much agree that video games are underutilized as tools for development. As I said in my post, Starcraft help me think strategically and logically.

But at the same time I am skeptical of using computer games in classroom environments. Jenkins, for example, advocates using history games like civilization (which is a great game btw) to play out historical what if scenarios. This seems like a little much.

Also with growing obesity and other health problems and also the violence in many video games, we need to tread carefully with how we use video games.