For as long as I can remember, every Saturday I would be awoken in the early hours of the morning by the battle cries issuing from my brother’s room. I would jump out of bed and eagerly rush through the kitchen to be able to watch the spectacle. I suppose those were my first experiences with media technology: my brother’s video games. When I started playing them for myself and realized that I was terrible at fighting games, I moved on to RPGs and since then I’ve had a fairly moderate interest in gaming.

When we got our first computer some ten years ago, I was immediately hooked to AOL chatrooms. I spent most of my middle school years online; role-playing, chatting, and lurking. The situation only got worse when I came to college. With my own laptop, a better internet connection, and Facebook, I’ve been completely absorbed into the web. I’m especially interested in Photoshop right now, after browsing Deviantart for so long. I’m slowly, very slowly, learning how to use it, and it’s been an enjoyable albeit frustrating experience.

One thought on “Erin’s Techno-biography

1. I remember when chat rooms were the trend. I too remember this being around the same time that AOL came around. My parents always told my brother ad I never to go into chat rooms but the only reason why we did was to play with these programs that allowed you to kick people out of chat rooms. I think that we found more pleasure out of that experience rather than actually talking to people because most of the people in chat rooms were not actually who they said they were and thus the environment wasn’t very entertaining. Today I do use AIM a lot though. I think that AIM is a lot better than chat rooms because it allows you to talk with the people you know. But at the same time it gvies you the option to join a chat room if you are into that too.