Truman Fellowship winner, Kate

Kate Hamilton ‘15.5 was one of two bright young women from Middlebury College to win the prestigious Truman Fellowship. The Truman Fellowship recognizes college juniors (or senior Febs) who have been outstanding leaders in public service and are interested public service as a career. The fellowship  grants up to $30,000 toward graduate study in the U.S. or abroad

Community engagement has been an important part of my life for almost as long as I can remember. Growing up in Washington, D.C. and volunteering for a youth service corps called City Year Young Heroes made me aware of difference and privilege at a very young age. But it was only when I was in high school and volunteering for the Obama campaign in Richmond, VA that I realized that the chasms of prejudice and poverty between us also affect our ability to participate in the democratic process. 

Ever since coming to that realization, my primary goal has been to fight disenfranchisement and other barriers to democratic participation. Community Engagement at Middlebury has really helped me pursue that goal on campus by providing invaluable funding and support to MiddVote, which was founded to increase civic participation among Middlebury students. With the help of Community Engagement, MiddVote was able to register nearly 500 Middlebury students to vote this past Fall.  Being a part of MiddVote was a very rewarding experience that made me even more excited to devote my career to fight for all citizens’ voting rights. 

– Kate Hamilton ‘15.5