Closing of Atwater dining hall, cutting back Grille hours, cutting back gym hours, etc. Is the administration making good decisions about the budget, or are they ill informed about student life?

4 thoughts on “Budget cuts

1. It’s terrible that Atwater is closing. However, I do think that one thing that should be eliminated is MOO, or MiddVIEW or whatever it is called. Although I’m sure that the experience is wonderful (I wasn’t selected unfortunately) it’s not necessary. This school’s experience goes so much beyond what MOO’s is and I feel that people don’t even think about their moo trip. I would have liked the chance to go kayaking, but I’d prefer the money went into the parts of the school that are year-round.

2. Closing Atwater dining hall is a horrible call. To begin with, ross and proctor are so close to each other, and Atwater is the dining hall that serves the OTHER half of campus–not to mention those who study in Bi-Hall. Atwater also happens to be the most hypo-allergenic, vegetarian-friendly, and just plain friendly dining hall on campus. The staff actually go out of their way to accommodate students (for ex, leaving some breakfast items out longer than 9:30 on the dot). Atwater also employs the most migrant workers of all the dining halls. There are a lot of us who prefer Atwater (for good reason), and by shutting it down the college is once again isolating a large part of campus. The general opinion of the students I’ve talked to is that opening Proctor vs. just leaving it closed is a matter of saving face, not logistics. It certainly doesn’t make any sense for student life. But, then again, the rest of the country doesn’t hear about those kinds of changes, does it?

3. Wait! they are cutting gym hours? how is that going to save any money… the only real expense is the student who sits at the desk, and cutting back the hours doesn’t seem like it would save much.