Acknowledgements

This thesis represents the end of a long and exhausting journey of self-discovery at Middlebury College.  It is also, I think, the beginning of a new focus, a new passion, and perhaps even, a new career-goal. I did not take a direct path to get to this point, but I believe wavering off the road and wondering where I was has made reaching the final destination even sweeter. As such, I could never have completed this project without the help of a number of people.

A special thanks to the incredibly smart (trans) media scholars and professionals who took the time to answer my questions: Ivan Askwith, Christy Dena, Sam Ford, Jonathan Gray, Geoffrey Long, and Mark Warshaw.

To my teammates and coaches of the Middlebury Basketball team for showing me the meaning of hard work. Thank you to my roommates, friends, and Ashton for keeping my spirits up. And I am eternally grateful to my family, my parents, and my sister for well, everything.

Lastly, I’d like to thank my advisors Christian Keathley and Michael Newbury for reading this work. And I am deeply indebted to Jason Mittell, who sparked my interest, calmed my nerves, and has overall been the best advisor and mentor a student could hope for.