Chris McCaw (1971 – ), Sunburned GSP#539 (Galapagos), 2012, unique gelatin silver paper negative. Middlebury College Museum of Art. Purchase with funds provided by the Foster Family Art Acquisition Fund, 2012.033.

In 2012, the Middlebury College Museum of Art purchased two photographs by Chris McCaw, one taken at the Arctic Circle and this one showing the rising of the sun at the equator.

Chris McCaw describes the process of making the photograph: “One of my favorite things about this series is how it is so inherently linked to the natural cycles. In order to make a piece like this, I had to take a camera all the way to the equator, around the time of the spring equinox. Only then could I get the sun rising perpendicular to the horizon. I traveled to the Galapagos Islands in particular to witness the effect over water.”[footnote]Collier Brown, “Chris McCaw: A Blister in the Sun, OD review/21st Editions https://theodreview.com/2016/06/07/chris-mccaw-a-blister-in-the-sun-1-of-2/ VI.6.1[/footnote]

See more of McCaw’s work and listen to Tevan Goldberg’s musical composition based on McCaw’s Sunburned series: