8. MIIS Students as ESP Specialists

Idea Champions: Caroline Kelley, Heidi Laidemitt, Sarah DeMola, Audrey Gutierrez, and Jaymee Martin

The Pitch: A team of MIIS MATESOLers are volunteer ESL teachers in the local Seaside community at the Peace Resource Center [PRC] and want to work with other MIIS MA students as they design English for Specific Purposes [ESP] curricula and coordinate future events at PRC! This is a chance for all MIIS MA programs to increase communication, apply their knowledge, and become academically inspired as they strengthen community ties together!

RATE THIS IDEA: [ratings]

[youtube 3CBj4bHMdx0]

[nggallery id=2]

20 thoughts on “8. MIIS Students as ESP Specialists

1. Tammy

I like this, because students from a variety of departments at MIIS can get together and work on this. Students could help with marketing, teaching, and making sure the project is being run sustainably and responsibly. I think it’s a great way for MIIS students to practice what they’re learning and do it in a way that helps our local community!

Reply
  2. Michael Sanford

I think this is a great idea. Students taking a stance by turning citizens of this country from peripheral entities into active members of their community. By enabling non-english speaking, local residents with the language skills necessary to engage in active participation within the community, these students are making an attempt to improve the livelihood and social status of its members. This has an immediate and direct impact that extends beyond the realm of the school, and is yet narrow enough in scope to be achievable in a short time and without inflated costs and resources.

Reply
  3. Sarah Oster

As a teacher in an urban school district I see students everyday that are impacted by limited English proficiency. I currently have numerous students whose parents do not speak English, imagine the embarrassment and frustration of a student translating for their teachers and parents. With numerous refugee centers in the area we are currently seeing an influx of children and adults that by no fault of their known need to learn English quickly and efficiently. The idea of teaching English for specific purposes allows students to have immediate real-world success, while gaining a sense of purpose and re-enforcing intrinsic motivation. This is an excellent idea for programming that can easily and cost-effectively be duplicated in communities across the country. Through the comment I am personally and professionally voting for this idea. Excellent work!

Reply
  4. Eliz Tchakarian

As an immigrant to the U.S. myself, I wish I had met dedicated individuals like you to help me through my English learning process. I vote for you!

Reply
  5. Meg Counterman

I am an GED/ABE/ESL instructor and can see great benifit to involving teachers and student in the literacy process! I appreciate and applaud the efforts!

Reply
  6. Jenn Roberts

As someone that works in education, I am voting for #8. MIIS Students as ESP Specialists. I work in an area were it is 80% ESL learners and the parents do not speak English. What they are doing is so very important and will help so many. Good Luck!

Reply
  7. Regina DeMola

I have the privilege of working with diverse cultures in my work with families who have children with disabilities. There are a number of them who cannot speak English. This greatly impacts their ability to be strong advocates for their children. The availablility of interpreters is very limited. As you can see, ESL programs, particularly in community settings and neighborhood agencies, such as in Seaside, is critical to empowering those who wish to have a stronger voice for their themselves and their family.

Reply
  8. Peter DeMola

Well put, we are all learning together and everyone need a fair shake. Huge credit to ELS program, keep it up.

Reply
  9. Ian Leach

I am advocating MIIS Students as ESP Specialists.
    I strongly agree with exploring techniques that would increase English language proficiency within non-English speaking communities. English for Specific Purposes would be very effective because the studies can be focused to meet the particular needs of the learners.

Reply
  10. Raven Lafitte

The ability to communicate is of the upmost importance. Not knowing the language of the community where one lives will inevitably lead to frustration and unhappiness. The individuals in the community will hopefully want to learn English when they see the enthusiasm and commitment of those willing to teach ESL.

Reply
    1. Sarah DeMola

Thanks for the support! Not only is there enthusiasm and commitment on the part of the volunteer teachers, but the ESL students also bring a high level of enthusiasm and commitment as well!

Reply
  11. Abdessamad Elyounoussi

I’m supporting MIIS Students as ESP Specialists. MIIS, as a leading institution of second language learning, can’t afford to stay foreign to local community issues, especially when they are language related.

Reply
  12. Bill Lafitte

This project will bring immediate benefits to members of the community. MIIS will further establish itself as a contributer to the community and increase area recognition. The startup costs are low and expansion can flow with the needs of the community and MIIS student resourses. Sudents will grow not only by their learning but by the value of their gifts.

Reply
  13. Jennie McCulloch

Immigration touches all of our lives, let’s help our future citizens become the people they need to be to participate actively in society! I vote for language education as the basis for fully functioning communities!

Reply
  14. Bobby Gillen

Excellent project. Two issues are successfully addressed here- the necessity of providing literacy programs for our ELL population and the importance of the involvement of universities, colleges and junior colleges in their community for the benefit of both the community and the higher Ed students. Nice job.

Reply
  15. PMD

As someone with hands-on ESL experience spanning three countries — Korea, Japan, China — I endorse this idea. Good job.

Reply