Getting there…

Today marked a significant day in my social business internship! A social business I have been working on since I joined YSB, involving job creation and castor oil, was presented (by myself and my colleagues) to be considered for investment. The turn around has been impressive and the business is poised to create hundreds of jobs. This week I will be given a new business for which I will start the due diligence process. Due diligence is particularly interesting in that you learn a social business inside and out to ensure its sustainability and social benefit. We therefore look at a business’ financial framework, business model, and impact on society.

I couldn’t be happier to contribute to the development on Haiti in the capacity I am! I am also able to get to know my country more as well. I was able to travel to one of the provinces thanks to the aforementioned business, and have met more interesting people along the way.

Tips for students interested in consulting work or becoming an analyst:

• Make Microsoft Office (especially Excel) your best friend!
  • Be a generalist – knowing a little about everything goes a really long way
  • Become a great note taker
  • Be flexible – whether you’re in a developing country or not, your bosses will appreciate this
  • Become a great communicator – whether in writing or in person, cultivating how to communicate will save you a lot of time explaining later on

A tres bientôt!