Knowledge, Actions, and Joy

“Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts.” This implies that the facts are unpleasant, and many of them are. I wonder if we could ever change the situation so the facts are mostly pleasant. This would be very challenging, and it’s hard to even know where to start. As Berry writes in his excerpts in Bringing It to the Table, our conventional food system is now so deeply rooted in short-term economic “success”, “inexpensive” fossil fuels, and unnatural technological “advancements” that it seems like an overwhelming task. I think Berry means we should still manage to find happiness despite negatives. Thus, this quote both encourages and discourages me.

I also believe this joy Berry writes about is only possible if you are living in a way that aligns with your values, so you know you are trying your best not to add to these negative realities. In terms of food, I’ve been working on this by reducing the amount of meat (especially factory farmed) I eat, buying organic and local foods (when appropriate), supporting small farmers whenever possible, and not wasting. This joy also applies to other aspects of our lives as well. For example, I’ve been attempting to move away from wasteful consumerism lately, so I’m trying to purchase as much of my clothes used as possible and buy fewer unnecessary objects. When I eat and shop in this manner, I feel happier. When I eat factory farmed meat or let some lettuce go bad in the fridge before I eat it, I feel bad about it and my joy is reduced. If I can’t stick to what I know is right, how can I expect others to lead their lives in a more sustainable way either? Expecting that would be hypocritical, but at the same time nobody is perfect. It’s also challenging because wastefulness is so incorporated into our daily routines. Almost everything we buy is packaged in plastic, I have to drive to my internship (though I’m carpooling now), and throw-away objects (disposable eating utensils, paper towels, plastic bags, etc.) are rampant. It’s hard to be completely sustainable.

So, in short, for me this quote promotes pursuit of knowledge so we can live our lives well-informed and behave accordingly. It also inspires me to find joy in simple things. Not everything in life will be pleasant, but we can do what we can and look beyond this (without ignoring the problems) as well to appreciate the good things.

2 thoughts on “Knowledge, Actions, and Joy

• June 12, 2014 at 5:30 pm
    Permalink

Maggie– the conclusions you’ve drawn here make me take heart. I like that you draw attention to the notion of scale and perspective– we can revel in small joys or successes while acknowledging the work we still have ahead of us. The challenge to maintain this simultaneous sense of joy and– what is it? sobriety? commitment? honesty?– strikes me as worthy work.

• June 9, 2014 at 10:50 pm
    Permalink

Hi Maggie!

I find myself in a similar struggle of trying to be more mindful of wastefulness but also having it so incorporated in my daily routine. It is so hard to find a balance between being completely sustainable yet also remaining true to your own needs and behavior. I think finding this balance will probably be a lifelong struggle for us and many others, but at least we are trying!