course announcements

Email sent Dec. 10 (final exam and directions):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Thanks for an excellent final class! I’ve updated the final exam information so that it now includes some guidelines in terms of my expectations. I’ve posted this under assignments.

I’ve attached directions to my house! Linus and I both hope that you can join us. As I mentioned in class, you are welcome to bring friends. The festivities begin at 12:13 (or 12:15, really) on Sunday, and there’s no need to bring anything. We’ll provide all the food for brunch!

If you would like to meet tomorrow, please send me an email by 8:00 pm tonight.

penny

Email sent Dec. 8 (questions due tomorrow):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

As I was reviewing the email that I sent earlier regarding the question due tomorrow, I realized that I erroneously asked you to submit four answers, only one of which is false! This is incorrect and now explains your questions at the end of class! Here are the revised instructions:

Your task is to create five questions based on these readings. For example, if you’ve been assigned the reading for Oct. 1, you might ask “How many of Odysseus’ men does the Cyclops eat?” Then you would provide four answers, only one of which is true. Please indicate which answer is the correct one when you submit your questions.

Please submit your questions and both the real and fake answers by noon on Wednesday.

On Thursday I will distribute the final exam questions and answer any questions you may have.

See you all on Thursday!

penny

Email sent Dec. 6 (ludi (quiz game) instructions):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

You will receive an email from me shortly indicating which day’s readings you’ve been assigned for our very own ludi on Thursday! Your task is to create five questions based on these readings. For example, if you’ve been assigned the reading for Oct. 1, you might ask “How many of Odysseus’ men does the Cyclops eat?” Then you would provide four answers, only one of which is true. Please indicate which answer is the correct one when you submit your questions.

See you all on Thursday!

penny

Email sent Dec. 5 (clarification):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

I’ve received some questions about sources for the debate preparation, so here’s some more information for clarification.

The journal article/book chapter/book is only for paper four, so you don’t need to worry about doing any outside research for the debate preparation.

For the debate, you need two primary and two secondary sources for each position. These sources should be class readings. Feel free to use any primary sources quoted at length in a secondary source as primary source evidence for the debate.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and be sure to spend some time in the sun today!

penny

Email sent Dec. 4 (HW due Dec. 9):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

On Tuesday we’ll be having a debate. Please consult the document concerning debate preparation under assignments on the course website. When you arrive in class, I’ll check your preparation. Please come to class with a printed copy of your preparation.

Over the weekend I’ll let you know which day’s readings you’ve been assigned for the final class activity with instructions for constructing questions.

I hope you all manage to find some time to relax and enjoy the weekend!

penny

Email sent Dec. 1 (reading due Dec. 3):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Your reading for Thursday has been posted! I’ve offered some instructions for the reading, so please read them thoroughly before you begin.

Please bring your computer to class on Thursday. We’re going to spend some time looking for articles, journals, and book chapters for assignment four.

The debate will be on Tuesday, December 10.

On Thursday, December 12 we’re going to play games—ludi! As preparation for this day of games, please select your first and second choices for the day’s readings that you’ll be responsible for. On Thursday I’ll let you know which day you have been assigned. Your task is to construct five factual questions based on the readings for that day. In your daily comment for Thursday, please indicate your top two choices. Do not write in the names of the readings, but please refer to the day they were due, i.e. I would like be assigned the readings due on…

Thursday is Saturnalia! I hope to see you all there! There will be food and treats, and a performance of Plautus!

penny

Email sent Nov. 27 (reading for Dec. 1):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

The reading for Tuesday, Dec 1 has been posted. The scanner is still down, so I’ve posted links to the reading online instead.

See you all next week!

penny

Email sent Nov. 24 (assignment four and debate information):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Information about assignment four has been posted under assignments. I’ve also posted information about the debate and the preparation for it due in class on December 8, in case you would like to start it early.

The readings will for Tuesday, Dec. 3 will be posted in the next 24 hours.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

penny

Email sent Nov. 19 (paper and reading for Nov. 24):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

I have posted the reading for next Tuesday (on vegetarianism and bean taboos). Assignment three is due by 11.59 pm on Sunday, November 22.

The Classics Department annual Saturnalia party will be Dec. 3, 8.00 pm, at 51 Main! I hope that you can all make it!

penny

Email sent Nov. 17 (Thursday, Nov. 19):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Thanks for a great day of presentations! The presentations will continue on Thursday with Emily and Lizette on gladiators!

Please come to class with you computers and a printed copy of your rough draft or detailed, annotated outline of paper three.

I’ve posted a short reading under course materials on how to integrate sources and quotes. Please have a look at this before Thursday’s class.

Please keep in mind that you will be required to meet with Delia, our writing mentor, before the semester is over.  If you would like to meet with you this week to discuss paper two, please sign up for a meeting here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_6KIsNwA4O7iYDDCzGkUOwHopVbF135iJt2xKAryxhg/edit

See you all on Thursday!

penny

Email sent Nov. 12 (cooking, presentations, and paper three):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Cooking will be happening tomorrow at Ross Commons, 5:30 pm! If you can come at 5:30 to cook, that would be great! If you’re coming from practice and will be late, please feel free to come by after! When you arrive, you will be assigned to small groups. Each group will be in charge of the recipe. We should be finished with the cooking, eating, and cleaning around 7:30. However, if you need to leave early, please feel free to do so. I will send an email to everyone when the dinner is over, just in case you’re planning to come by late.

The dates for the presentations and writing lab have been switched. The presentations will be happening on Tuesday, with the exception of the gladiator group. The writing lab will be on Thursday.

If you have a food allergy or if there are foods that you do not or cannot eat, please send me an email by the end of the day today to let me know.

See you all tomorrow!

penny

Email sent Nov. 9 (Spring Registration):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

You will be registering for Spring classes on November 19! Practice registration will be open until tomorrow November 10. Please take some to do this practice round, as this is one of the easiest ways to determine whether you have met the prerequisites for a course and if there are any restrictions.

I’m going to pass around a sign-up sheet for advising meetings tomorrow.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

penny

Email sent Nov. 5 (Nov. 5 reading/presentation/assignment three):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Your reading for Tuesday, Nov. 10 has been posted! In your daily comment, please select one primary source passage for analysis. Identify this source in your comment, and then examine how the passage offers evidence for either similarities or differences to Greek sacrificial ritual. Why do these similarities or differences exist?

Information about the third writing assignment and the presentation have been posted under assignments. Please review these, as I’ve adjusted the list of festivals slightly.

On Tuesday we’re going to discuss presentation strategies and select festivals/form groups. I’ve posted some readings about Roman festivals (both primary and secondary) under assignments. Please have a look at these. You do not need to read them all, but you do need to have a look at them to determine which festival you would like to research for the presentation.

Information about the third paper has also been posted under assignments. For this paper, you will be comparing a Roman and Greek festival. You are already very familiar with one Greek festival (assignment two research). As you’re reviewing the sources for Roman festivals, you should consider choosing a festival that will offer a rewarding comparison with your Greek festival. You don’t necessary have to strategize in this way, but you may find it helpful.

Have a great weekend!

penny

Email sent Nov. 3 (reading for Nov. 5):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Your reading for Thursday will be posted in the next 75 minutes! There’s some manipulating of the scanned document that needs to happen so that the images are visible, so it’s taking a little longer than usual to upload. The reading for Thursday is a collection of primary source passages on Roman gods and goddess. It’s a little shorter than our usual readings (one reading, 34 pages, lots of images)! My hope is that this will allow us to explore Roman perceptions of deities in more depth, since today was more of a general overview of Roman history and legend.

In your comment for Thursday, select one passage for close analysis. Indicate which passage you have chosen by identifying the author, work (if there is one) and the passage. What can one learn about Roman culture from the passage you chosen? Can you draw from other passages in the reading to support what you’ve learned from your passage? If so, please indicate which passages these are. Your response to these questions will be your daily comment.

See you all on Thursday!

penny

Email sent Oct. 29 (citations):

Dear Feasts and festivals students,

Here is an example of how to cite a primary source from perseus.tufts.edu:

Herodotus, The Histories. Trans. A. D. Godley (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1920), Perseus Digital Library.

Most of this information is provided below the translation at this website: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3atext%3a1999.01.0126

Here is how you would cite Athenaeus:

Athenaeus. The Deipnosophists. Trans. C. D. Yonge (London, Henry G. Bohn, York        Street, Covent Garden, 1854), Perseus Digital Library.

You do not need to provide URLs in your works cited page.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Keep in mind that this is an excellent resource if you are not sure how something should be cited:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/02/

penny

Email sent Oct. 28 (winter term/writing mentor):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

If you would like to meet with Delia to discuss your second paper, please sign up for a meeting time here:

You will be required to meet with her at least once during the course of the semester. You can either sign up for a time this week, or, at a later date, you can sign up for time later in the semester to discuss the third paper.

Registration for winter term is next Tuesday (Nov. 3)! We’re going to discuss winter term tomorrow. You’ll be registering on the second day of winter term registration, which means that this process should be easier for you than registering for fall classes. You are welcome to meet with me or discuss your winter term course selection over email. However, winter term is a time for you to explore courses and subjects you might not otherwise explore, so you can really take whatever you want (unless, of course you have beginning language obligations).

See you all tomorrow!

penny

Email sent Oct. 28 (office hours tomorrow):

Dear students,

My office hours tomorrow (Thursday, Oct. 29) will be 12:15-1:15. If you would like to schedule an appointment to discuss your second paper, please send me an email. I’m available today (Wednesday) and tomorrow 12:15-1:15. I’ll happily and eagerly discuss your papers over email on Friday, but I will not be available for meetings.

See you all tomorrow!

penny

Email sent Oct. 27 (rough drafts due Oct. 29):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Please come to class with a printed copy of the rough draft of your creative letter and your writing process narrative. The rough drafts are part of your “short written assignments” grade.

On Thursday we’ll read one another’s papers. We’re also going to have an informal discussion of your research, so please also be prepared to share something that you’ve learned with the class from your research. Lastly, we’ll spend some time discussing any final questions about the second paper.

The second paper is due Friday, Oct. 30, 7:59 pm.

If you would like to set up a time to meet with me, please send me an email!

penny

Email sent Oct. 22 (primary sources and reading):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Your reading for Tuesday has been posted! I’ve also posted information about locating primary sources and sample letters/writing process narratives under assignments.

Next Thursday will be a writing lab! Please come to class with a rough draft of your letter and writing process narrative. Before you begin writing, please review the expectations for the assignment (on the course website under assignments). We’re also going to share a little bit of what we learned in our research about our festivals on Thursday!

If you would like to meet with me to discuss the second assignment next week, please send me an email.

Have a great weekend!

penny

Email sent Oct. 20 (reading for Thursday, October 22):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Your reading for Thursday has been posted. On Thursday we’ll discuss the festivals concerning Demeter and Dionyus. In your daily comment, consider why one would want participate in these festivals. Iddeng notes, on page 28, that we must consider both function and intention when we consider the purpose and intention of festivals (you may want to review the end of Iddeng’s chapter, “What is a Greco-Roman Festival,” specifically the section on the purpose of the Greaco-Roman festival, pages 27-30). What function do these festivals/rites serve? What is their purpose? Why would an individual want to participate? You can answer one or all of these questions in your daily comment.

Be sure to include in your daily comment two outside sources (either two books or two journal articles or a book and an article) for assignment two. This information should be in MLA format.

I’ve also posted an optional primary source reading for those of you who are researching festivals related to Dionysus.

penny

Email sent Oct 19 (reminders for tomorrow):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

I have posted a list of festivals for assignment two. Please have a look at this list, select a festival for research, and read through the information about assignment two. You will find the list of festivals and information about the second assignment under “assignments” on the course website.

Tomorrow we will meet in Twilight as usual. Please bring your laptop. Carrie MacFarlane will lead a research session and introduction to the college’s research databases.

Reminder: There is a daily comment due tomorrow morning.

See you all tomorrow!

penny

Jonathan Hall, “Who Were the Greeks?” Friday, October 16, 12:30, Twilight Auditorium

Email sent Oct. 15 (papers and Tuesday’s reading):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

The final draft of your first paper is due tomorrow by 7:59 pm. If you would like to set up a time to meet with me tomorrow, please send me an email by 8 pm tonight.

Your reading for Tuesday has been posted! There is a daily comment due on Tuesday for this reading. However, this reading, concerning celebrations of Demeter, will be discussed on Thursday. There will be a reading due on Thursday (on Bacchus/Dionysus).

Information about the next assignment will be posted on the course website shortly, along with a list of festivals to choose from as a research topic. Please bring your computers to class on Tuesday. Tuesday’s class will be held in Twilight as usual. Someone from the library will be coming to class to lead a seminar on using library resources for research.

Good luck with your papers, and please let me know if you have any questions!

penny

Email sent Oct. 14 (daily comments):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

I’ve uploaded the daily comment grades to moodle. It would be worth your time to have a look at your daily comments to review the readings and what we’re covered this semester, especially if I’ve mentioned that you need to engage more with with the sources, or if more citations and references are needed in your paper.

See you all tomorrow morning!

penny

Email send Oct. 13 (Thursday, Oct. 15):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

There is no reading for Thursday! The reading that was assigned for Thursday has been rescheduled for next Tuesday. There will be a daily comment due Tuesday, Oct. 20 on the reading even though we have a research skills seminar scheduled for that day.

For Thursday please construct a short paragraph consisting of the following:

1) Your argument.

2) The points that you need to make in order to construct your argument.

3) Your conclusion.

Please send me this short paragraph to me in lieu of daily comment. This paragraph is essentially a brief summary of your paper and should not exceed 200 words. It is due by the usual time on Thursday.

Thursday will be a writing lab, so please bring your laptops and a printed copy of your paper in whatever state of revision it is in.

The last day to drop a course is Tuesday, October 20. If you would like to talk about your schedule, please make an appointment to see me.

See you all on Thursday.

penny

Email sent Oct. 11 (draft one):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

You will receive feedback on your papers shortly. Please read these comments soon, as I’ve randomly selected half of you to meet with the writing mentor this week. I’ve noted this in the final paragraph that I wrote at the end of each of your papers.

On Tuesday we’re going to discuss how to insert quotes into your argument, and we’ll anonymously assess one another’s thesis statements. If you would rather that I not include yours, please let me know by Monday evening. We’re going to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of each thesis statement/argument, which means that you will get some individual feedback anonymously. On Thursday we’ll spend some time mapping our papers together. There will still be reading due on each of these days, but we’ll set aside some time in class to work on our papers.

See you all on Tuesday!

penny

Email sent Oct. 10 (reading due Oct. 13):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Your reading for Tuesday has been posted. Enjoy!

penny

Information about Professor Romm’s talk, Friday, Oct. 9, 12:15, Twilight Hall 201

Email sent Oct. 8 (paper details):

Dear Feasts and Festivals students,

The rough draft of your first paper is due Friday, October 9 by 7:59 pm. If you send me your paper as a word doc, please send it as an attachment. If you send it to me as a google doc, be sure to give me access to your document. You can do this by allowing anyone with a link to the document access to it. I will send you an email confirming that I have received your paper by 10:00 am on Saturday morning. Your paper should be 4-5 pages, spacing 1.5, Times/Helvetica, 12 point font, one inch margins on all sides (see information about formatting below).

I will be on campus tomorrow. If you would like to meet with me to discuss your paper, please send me an email by 8 pm tonight. I can also answer questions over email!

Be sure to type the honor code at the end of your paper. The honor code is provided in the blue honor code booklet that was handed out during first meeting.

I will return your paper to you with my comments by Monday morning, at the very latest. Half of the class will be required to meet with Delia next week to discuss the paper revisions. If you know that you would like to meet with her already, you can sign up here:

Those who do not meet with her next week will be required to meet with her the week of Oct. 26. If you know that you’re going to be busy that week, you may want to consider signing up for a time next week right now. Here is Delia’s email, in case you would like to contact her: dtaylor@middlebury.edu

The final draft of your first paper is due Friday, October 16 by 7:59 pm.

Here is how Hesiod’s Works and Days and Theogony should be cited in your works cited page:

Hesiod. The Homeric Hymns and Homerica. Trans. Hugh G. Evelyn-White. Cambridge:        Loeb-Harvard University Press, 1914.

This citation covers both Works and Days and Theogony. Regardless of whether you use one or both of Hesiod’s works in your paper, you should use this as your reference in your works cited page.

I have provided the references for all readings, except primary sources, in MLA format both on the syllabus and on the course website under “readings.” Do not include information in parenthesis at the end, which is where I provide chapter titles or page numbers for our specific reading. All of the information needed to include primary sources in your works cited page can be found in the reading.

Here is a link to information about in-text citations from Purdue’s Online Writing Lab: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/02/

Here is a link to information about the works cited page (note that the menu on the left provides more specific information based on what type of source you’re citing): https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/05/

Here is a link to information about formatting your paper (please read “General Guidelines” and “Formatting the First Page of Your Paper”): https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/

Please format your paper according to these guidelines, with the exception of spacing. The spacing for your paper should be 1.5, and your font should be Times or Helvetica, 12 point font.

If you plan to attend Professor Romm’s talk tomorrow at 12:15, please send me an email so that the department can plan for lunch!

Good luck, and please let me know if you have any questions.

penny

Email sent Oct. 6 (HW for Thursday):

Dear Feasts and Festivals students,

Please come to class with a rough draft (3-5 pages, spacing 1.5) or an annotated outline of your paper (3-4 pages). You will need your computers on Thursday! If you cannot bring a laptop to class, please let me know by Wednesday evening.

I will check your draft/outline when you arrive in class. If you have met the requirements for each (3-5 pages for a rough draft/3-4 pages for an outline), and all of your references and quotes include author and page number, you will receive full credit for the assignment. The draft/outline is worth 6% of your final grade. (It counts as a short written assignment.)

If you would like to talk about your papers in person, please feel free to come by during office hours (tomorrow 9.30-10.30; Thursday 1-2), or make an appointment to see me.

There will not be a daily comment due on Thursday!

On Thursday we’ll work on papers together and discuss citations/works cited page.

Professor James Romm of Bard College will be giving a talk on Friday, 12:15, Twilight Hall 201. Information about the talk can be found under announcements. I encourage you all to attend! It’ll be a great talk, and lunch will be provided.

penny

Email sent Oct. 1 (reading due Oct. 6):

Dear Feasts and Festivals students,

Your reading for Tuesday has been posted. The first reading concerns the mythology of cannibalism and werewolves in Ancient Greece. The second is a play by Seneca, a Roman writer, Stoic philosopher, and tutor of Nero. Seneca lived in the first century CE. He was a Roman writer, but the plan concerns a feud between two brothers, Atreus whose sons were Agamemnon and Menelaus, and Thyestes, whose son Aegisthus became the lover of Clytemnestra, Agamemnon’s wife. When Agamemnon returns from the Trojan War, Clytemnestra and Aegisthus kill him.

Please keep in mind that the rough draft/annotated outline of your paper is due in class on Thursday, October 8. You should either come to class with a rough draft (4-5 pages), or an annotated outline of your paper. An annotated outline should include the following:

1) A clearly stated thesis/argument.

2) A list of the main points necessary to prove your argument.

3) The evidence (properly cited quotes and references) that you will use to support each individual point.

4) An explanation of how each piece of evidence supports each individual point.

5) A description of how the points you’ve made contribute to your argument.

A rough draft should also do all of these things, but is more refined than an outline.

Information about how to cite primary sources in Classics has been posted under course materials.

This evening we will dine together at Ross Commons at 6 pm! You can access the commons house by taking the wooden bridge/staircase on the west side of LaForce.

See you all this evening!

penny

Email sent Sept. 29 (reading due Oct. 1):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Your reading for Thursday has been posted! On Thursday we’re going to discuss compare how feasts and food are depicted in the books assigned from the Iliad and the Odyssey. In preparation for this discussion, please focus your daily comment on the paper prompt as it pertains to the reading assigned for Thursday. How is what one eats meaningful in the Odyssey? How does the consumption of specific foods become ways of identifying people as either belonging or not belonging to a specific group?

Our class dinner is on Thursday!
See you all tomorrow.
penny

Email sent Sept. 28 (tomorrow morning):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Tomorrow  we will meet in the Wilson Media Lab on the main level of the Davis Library during our regularly scheduled class time. We will not meet for class in Twilight.

Thursday is our class dinner in Ross Commons, 6 pm.

Here is your paper prompt: While the ancient Greeks ate meat, they also talked about meat in ways that both reflect their culture and reinforce cultural norms. How is meat meaningful within the context of these cultural discourses? What do we learn about the ancient Greeks by examining their culture through the lens of meat?

Please keep in mind that our discussion of this week’s readings on Thursday will pertain to the paper. If you are confused about the prompt or not sure where to begin, don’t panic! We’ll discuss both on Thursday.

See you all tomorrow!

penny

Email send Sept. 24 (library session and reading for Sept. 29):

Dear Feasts and Festivals students,

There is a reading for Tuesday. Please read Book 23 of the Iliad first, followed by a chapter from Daniel Hughes’ book Human Sacrifice in Ancient Greece, and short section from Burkert’s Homo Necans. There is a daily comment due on these readings on Tuesday. On Thursday we’ll compare the feasts in Book 23 of the Iliad and Book 9 of the Odyssey (this book will be assigned for Thursday, October 1).

On Tuesday we will meet in the Wilson Media Lab on the main level of the Davis Library. We will not meet for class in Twilight. On Tuesday the library staff will introduce you to the library’s resources. Some fun library activities have been planned!

Over the weekend you will receive the prompt for the first paper, so keep an eye out for an email from me. You are welcome to begin working on the paper, but keep in mind that the prompt will be written with next week’s readings in mind.

As always, please email me if you have any questions.

penny

Email sent Sept. 22 (reading due Sept. 24):

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Your reading for Thursday has been posted! On Thursday we’re going to discuss the first paper.

Some dates to keep in mind:

Tuesday, Sept. 29: Library skills seminar (meet at the library instead of Twilight).

Thursday, Oct. 1: Dinner at Ross Commons, 6:00 pm.

Thursday, Oct. 8: Rough draft/annotated outline of paper one due in class.

Friday, Oct. 9: Rough draft of paper one due, 7:59 pm.

Friday Oct. 16: Final draft of paper one due, 7:59 pm.

Friday, Nov. 13: Roman feast!

Here are my official office hours (you are always welcome to make an appointment to see me): T 2-3; W 9:30-10:30; R 1-2.

penny

Email sent Sept. 17 (reading due Sept. 22)

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Your reading for Tuesday has been posted—enjoy! As usual, there is a daily comment due by 9:00 am on Tuesday. Please assume that what you’ve submitted for today is acceptable unless you hear from me by the end of the day.

We’re dining together on October 1, 6:00 pm in Ross Commons! If you can’t make it, please send me an email.

The last day to submit add/drop cards to the registrar’s office is Friday, September 25.

Have an excellent weekend!

penny

Email sent Sept. 10 (practice registration/French)

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Although the practice registration/pre-requisite check was scheduled to be closed at noon today, you should give it a try if you have not had a chance to do it yet. I don’t have access to banner, but it may still be available.

Here is a link to a website that includes a tutorial on registration:

http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/academic/records/registration/FYWebReg

The French department just sent around this announcement:

Due to unanticipated demand for FRENCH 205, the French department has made the following changes to the fall schedule of courses.  These changes have been entered on banner.

1.    There will be a fourth section of FRENCH 205:  205 D, MWF at 11:15-12:05.
2.     French 210B is cancelled.  (There will still be two sections of the course, A
and C).

penny

Email sent Sept. 10 (registration reminders)

Dear feasts and festivals students,

Please remember to complete the practice registration/pre-requisite check by noon today. Be sure to try all possible schedule to make sure that you have all necessary waivers and prerequisites for courses.

Here are the instructions for the practice registration/prerequisite check that I sent yesterday:

Prerequisite checking round in BannerWeb:

Beginning August 26, you can access BannerWeb registration to assess your courses to see if you need to request overrides for any of the stated prerequisites or other restrictions.

Select “Register or Add/Drop Classes” from the Registration menu in BannerWeb.
Select the “Fall 2015 Round 1-Chck PreReqs” term from the dropdown list.
On the Add/Drop classes worksheet, enter the Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) of the courses you are interested in taking.  The CRNs may be found on the Course Schedule at:  http://go.middlebury.edu/courses?fall.
Note that your First-Year Seminar is already listed here and cannot be changed.
3) You will need to include the CRN (course numbers) for any discussion sections or labs that are required. You can find the CRNs and the number of seats available here:

https://ssb.middlebury.edu/PNTR/saturn_midd.course_catalog_utlq.catalog_page_by_dept?p_term=201590

Here are hints for registration from the registrar’s office:

A few minutes before the official beginning of registration, be in the system, having logged in, and enter ALL your first-choice CRNs. Then, at 8 PM sharp, hit “submit.”   You will then be registered in all the courses for which you do not receive error messages.

penny

Email sent Sept. 9 (registration and reading due Sept. 17)

Dear Feasts and Festivals students,

It was a pleasure to meet you all today! I hope that you’ve had a fruitful day spent exploring what the campus and college have to offer.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding registration. Here are some things to remember.

1) You must register for at least two more courses, ideally three, Thursday evening during registration. Keep in mind that the courses you’ve officially selected at the end of registration on Thursday do not necessarily reflect the courses that you will end up taking. You’ll have two weeks during the add/drop period to sort out your schedule, so, if you’re unhappy with your courses, there’s no need to panic!

2) Before you register Thursday evening, I strongly recommend that you do the prerequisite check/practice registration. You can do this multiple times, however, you need to complete this before tomorrow (Thursday, Sept. 10) at noon.

Here are the instructions for the practice registration/prerequisite check:

• Select “Register or Add/Drop Classes” from the Registration menu in BannerWeb.
  • Select the “Fall 2015 Round 1-Chck PreReqs” term from the dropdown list.
  • On the Add/Drop classes worksheet, enter the Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) of the courses you are interested in taking.  The CRNs may be found on the Course Schedule at:  http://go.middlebury.edu/courses?fall.
  • Note that your First-Year Seminar is already listed here and cannot be changed.

Now for some course related details:

1) The reading due Thursday, Sept. 17 has been posted under readings on the course website (go/feastsandfestivals). There is a daily comment due on Thursday, Sept. 17 by 9 am. In your comment please identify either the main point(s) of the reading, and/or what you found most interesting and why. These comments are not meant to be long—only 200-250 words. Please type your comments directly into the body of the email. My email address is jessicae@middelbury.edu.

2) You do not need to print out the readings for this course unless you would like to. I like to make notes in the margins of the readings, so I print them. However, you are not required to do so if you don’t mind reading them online. You are not expected to have the readings in front of you in class.

3) Mark your calendars! Ross Commons will be hosting our class for dinner on Oct. 1 at 6:00 pm. I do hope that you can all make it. On Nov. 13 we will be cooking recipes from Apicius (not the ones that we looked at today!) together as a class!

Again, please feel free to email me if you have any questions. I look forward to exploring feasts and festivals of the ancient world with you all this semester!

penny

Wednesday, Sept 9:

1. Pre-Advising, Commons, 11-2
  2. Academic Forum, Kenyon Arena, 2-3, 3-4 (discuss placement with departments/results of placement exams).

Thursday, Sept. 10:

1. Registration, 8:00 pm. Be sure that you have CRNs and pins.

http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/fys/info4students/first-year-advising/preparing-for-advisor