The Last Samurai: The Celebrity of Tom Cruise

| 0 comments

Assignment #7

I was initially discouraged by the casting of Tom Cruise as the protagonist of Edward Zwick’s The Last Samurai. Cruise carries with him more baggage than the average movie star. For one thing, he has developed a reputation as something of a maniac in the public eye given his zeal for Scientology and the notorious Oprah ordeal. More importantly, however, he is perpetually placed in the roll of the grinning, charismatic, All-American action hero (see: Top Gun, Mission Impossible, etc.)

The Last Samurai deals with a rather sensitive issue–a 19th century clash between traditional Samurai and an increasingly westernized government in Japan–and I was afraid that Cruise might impose an overly light-hearted, action movie feel upon the film. Thankfully, he is able to avoid this pitfall. Cruise offers an understated and admirable performance. In many other films, it feels as if Tom Cruise is playing Tom Cruise–in all his star-studded glory. Here, Cruise inhabits the character of Nathan Algren with stoicism and reservation, and he fully earns his Golden Globe nomination. Thus, while watching the film, I was able to completely suspend my disbelieve. Cruise’s high profile had no bearing on my experience as a viewer.

It is still interesting, however, to consider the challenges that high-profile stars must face in overcoming the baggage they bring with them to each new film. Actors like Cruise often establish themselves through great charisma and personality, but, ultimately, they provide some of their best performances by tuning down their star-power and inhabiting their roles rather than their off-screen personas. This is the case with Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai.