The Wizard of Oz: The Technicolor Dream

| 0 comments

Assignment #1

It’s difficult to tackle a seminal work like The Wizard of Oz. The film is a classic–that’s undeniable–and it has been cherished be generations of children. I loved it too when I first saw it in the family room with my sister. Rewatching it with newfound perspective, however, I formed a different opinion. The film ultimately falls short because it banks too heavily on the transition from Kansas to Oz. In this moment, the director plays his entire hand: Technicolor, special effects, a rich fantasy world. What’s left after that is a simple story based around unsatisfying conveniences (the Wicked Witch just happened to leave a bucket of water kicking around?) Moreover, it finishes up with the whole “it was all a dream” trope, which–even in 1939–had already been played out in countless works of art from Alice in Wonderland to The Nutcracker all the way to The Aeneid. 

I will reference the above scene, Dorothy’s entrance into Oz, to prove my point. The scene begins with an establishment shot of Munchkin Land (:10 – 1:10). Victor Fleming draws this shot out for a full minute to ensure that the viewer has been adequately captivated by the Technicolorful fantasy landscape. It’s clear that he’s hoping to draw as many oohs and aahs as possible. Next, the master shot (1:30) frames Dorothy beside the small descending bubble that will become Glinda the Good Witch of the North. This is a double whammy: first the switch to color and then, right after, the special effects of Glinda’s entrance, which were undoubtedly impressive at the time. The scene then progresses to a number of back-and-forth dialogue shots.

It’s a great scene. I remember loving the transition even when I first watched the film as a child, but the problem remains that Fleming is giving away all the goods then and there. In comparison, the rest of the film feels flat and uninteresting. Ideally, he would’ve been able to spread the magic more evenly throughout.