© 2014 Patrick McElravey

The Power of a Review

www.novastreammovie.com

www.novastreammovie.com

So this post deserves some background. The assignment here was to read three different reviews of a movie and then see how the expectations of those reviews effected our own viewing. I must say, this is not for the ill of heart it seems malicious and unfair to the movie and its creators; and yet, I highly suggest you to try to do the same, just proceed with caution…

These are the reviews I read before watching Kill Bill:

RottenTomatoes     ,      Roger Ebert      and     The New York Times

Based off of these reviews I can expect a lot of eye candy, to be left wanting more (unless I am not much of a Tarantino fan, which I must admit I am), to question the control of Tarantino’s imagination, to laugh and at the very least, appreciate that imagination but in a typical plot that I have seen before.

Now, fast forward with me. I just watched the film and my adrenaline is pumping, I’m fired up and this post needs to get completed!

Sorry if I am coming across strong but I must say that Roger Ebert was right, “The movie is not about anything at all except the skill and humor of its making. It’s kind of brilliant.” Those words sum it up well. I hate to have to just roll over and agree here but shoot, Tarantino is clever. The most wonderful thing that I keep leaving his films with is an awe met by his ability to create cinematic poetry in death. Each final blow is carefully delivered, although I agree that their are moments where such gross amounts of gut and blood seems comical, it is just this comical element that is so brilliant. It is gruesome and imaginative, the audience moans but would not dare to look away. It is not so much the vulgarity but the delivery that seems so pornographic, by this I mean that, although it is ridiculous and unbelievable, I cannot help but believe it or at least want to, as I sit at the edge of my seat, bleeding as they bleed. 

Although Ebert and The Times and Rotten Tomatoes all agree that the storyline itself is not original, I found myself lost and confused and left wondering. I refuse to ruin it as these other reviews did me but keep in mind that there is a Part II and that you may not leave absolutely fulfilled… Enjoy!

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.