Thanksgiving… who am I thankful for?

Thanksgiving started out during fall in 1621, when Pilgrims and Native Americans gathered together to celebrate a successful harvest to thank everyone who had been involved. Our mentors and teachers also deserve a celebration; we need to be grateful of what they have done for us. My mentor is my godmother Karen. Even though I have only known her for a couple of years, she has already made a big difference in my life.

She is blunt and straightforward. She doesn’t just simply give her godson a present every year. She isn’t one to say sweet words when I am depressed. However, she does call me at least once a week to check in on me, letting me know that she cares. Her calls usually end with her criticizing me about what I have done wrong, which happens every week. Even though I get fed up with her efforts to teach me, at the end of the day I realize that she loves me and just genuinely wants me to be a more mature person.

In the summer of 2012, she helped me out of my misery by telling me not to ignore other people’s perspectives. It started out in January when I invited my best friend Charlie to Hong Kong. After all the anticipation build-up, he told me at the last minute that his parents wouldn’t give him the money for an air-ticket. I was furious because I have invited him to Hong Kong many times and every time there was an excuse, so I started to doubt our friendship. I blamed myself many times for wasting five years building this friendship so I started to ignore Charlie. Then, my godmother called me one day and I told her my story, expecting her to be sympathetic. However, instead of telling me how sorry she was for me, she scolded me and said I was being inconsiderate. I was annoyed at her for being so blunt but afterwards I did some self-reflection. Then I realized that talking to him would be the civilized thing to do. I approached him afterwards and we became friends again. If it weren’t for my godmother’s direct and harsh words, I would have never learned to think from other people’s perspective.

Also, she was the one who suggested that I take a gap year. A gap year is a big deal to everyone because it is the year to gain experience outside of school, and to take an early step forward in life. I thought she wanted to travel with me, so I was ecstatic about it; instead of us going trekking in the Andes or climbing Machu Picchu, she said I should gain work experience and improve my English before I go to Middlebury, but most importantly develop a better work ethic. I was reluctant to the idea at first but she absolutely forced me into it. Now, even though I still feel childish and unconfident at times, I still saw a lot of improvement in myself.

Although I have known her for only a couple of years, we have bonded through her genuine intentions. If it weren’t for her bluntness, I wouldn’t know the right thing to do. Even though she is neither intellectual nor polite, my mum thought that Karen should be my godmother because my mum understands that this is what I need to become a stronger person. For Thanksgiving, I would like to share a piece of my turkey with my godmother, for her fascinating ways of teaching me how to grow up.