Watching the Movie: Disconnected

Watching the movie Disconnected really bought me back to a few years ago. Around the time that the movie was being made and came out, I was in middle school. I had a computer at home and my mother would only allow for an hour use of the computer everyday. Most of the days were spent going out or my mother would shop and go downtown. When Myspace was popular, I had one of those, but I really didn’t do much with it. AIM had an impact with Instant Messaging, but I only really had an hour to use it because I had a time limit. In school, the introduction of the use of the Smart Board was fairly new as well.

It seems as though computers were really beginning to become an increasing factor during these times. Watching the movie showed me that as the world upgrades continuously it makes ways of life, when you’re not used to it, a bit harder. When one of the college students went to the library he was faced with a reading that was on the computer, but he really couldn’t use it. This caused a bit of a struggle as well as writing on a type writer. With that said, it was mentioned in the movie that it was an inconvenience to not have a computer but it helped to become more focused and less distracted.

I believe that this movie was a great way to show the dependence that has grown onto college students and the usage of technology. It’s hard to escape from the urge of using a computer or send out a text. Since that time, many other various advances have been made which complicates things a bit more. Smart phones, tablets, iPhones, and more makes it much easier to have an all-in-one device that’s hard to put down. It’s up to us how we incorporate this in our lives.