Fantasy Football

Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 3.17.45 PM

A typical fantasy league box score

NFL football, in my personal opinion, is the best part about the fall season. Apple picking, cider donuts, and fall foliage are nice and all, but football easily trumps all of those things. I love the Denver Broncos and the trash talking with fans of other teams (especially Patriots fans) that comes along with it. The element of trash talking is especially prevalent in fantasy football, which is part of the reason why I love it.

Dictionary.com defines fantasy football as “a football competition with imaginary teams which the participants draft, own, and manage with the games based on statistics from actual player’s performances in each week’s contests.” I spend close to two hours each week reading up on things like players on waivers (on no fantasy league team’s roster) I could potentially pickup, which running back on my team will produce more points for me, and whether I should consider starting a different team’s defense if they are playing a particularly potent offensive team that week. It is essentially a massive time-suck. But, it is a way to take my mind off school and keeps me passionate about NFL football throughout the season. Fantasy football is also a great way to keep in touch with friends and a way to exact revenge on people with whom you may not be so friendly. For example, I manage two different fantasy football teams. One team is in a league with my ski racing friends from my high school, Burke Mountain Academy, and another consists of friends of mine who attend school at the University of Colorado. Beating someone you know makes the victory that much sweeter.

I love fantasy football so much, that The League has become one of my favorite shows on television. The League is a show about six adult friends who are in a fantasy league together. It illustrates how something as trivial as fantasy football can cause so much excitement and make adults act like children. I love it because I can relate so well to it in so many ways. The constant trash talking between league members and personal frustrations with various players that are seen as jokes in the show are very real things in every fantasy league I have been a member of. If you play fantasy football, you should watch the league – guaranteed laughs.

The Characters of “The League”

I am a athlete. Therefore, I love competition. Fantasy football success is based off of a risk vs. reward system. It is nerve wracking and ultimately fun. Like many forms of entertainment, it may not be a significant digital media tool as far as the advancement of society is concerned, but it sure is a great way to kill time!