replacement charges

Bills and Refunds

A quick reminder about library bills and replacement charges.
Borrowers may clear their account by paying the replacement charge at any of the branch libraries by cash, check or charge – or by returning the overdue materials.
They may also request that the charge be transferred to their college bill.
The best way to clear bills is to return overdue materials.
If materials are truly lost, the best way to clear the charge is to pay the charge at the Circ Desk.
PAYING BY CHARGE CARD IS THE PREFERRED PAYMENT METHOD. It is the quickest way to process a refund if the item is found.
Substituting a replacement copy is only possible on a pre-approved, case by case basis – and is NOT the preferred method for replacing lost materials.
The preferred method is to pay the full replacement charges. Replacement charges are based the average cost to replace an item, and includes a processing fee.

To process payment for a lost item:
If the item has not yet gone to “lost” status in the system, mark item “lost” (please see a supervisor for this step)
Click on the “Fines” tab
Highlight item
Select Collect Money
Collect money by charge card, cash or check (to Middlebury College)
Click OK
Print Receipt and give to borrower (receipt is required to process a refund, if the item is found)
Record payment on cash slip

Sometimes you may see the message “item lost and paid, clear it?” when scanning barcodes. If so, please place the item on Elin’s desk in 250A with a note. Though it is the responsibility of the borrower to request a refund for library materials that they have paid for, and subsequently found, this helps identify materials eligible for a refund.

Complete billing procedures are available on the Circ wiki

The Circ billing web page also has info available on loan periods and replacement charges.