I have to admit hating the term “learning loss” when it’s applied to kids in the pandemic. It’s a deficit model, right? The kids learned something during all their non-classroom time; it just wasn’t what their teachers thought they should learn.

Maybe that’s the story with Cedar, who was spoiled (in the best of ways) by super dog lover Jordan for a full week while I was in Seattle. I met Jordan in the driveway as I arrived home and I swear I heard the words, “Your dog is so well trained.”

Not two minutes later, I was following a BAD GIRL down the street as she disobeyed my various COME commands. This happened several times on Wednesday. Did I lose authority by being gone? Was this Cedar’s way of punishing me for leaving? Or maybe she just advanced into some rebellious stage while doing all that growing and getting her fur so shiny while I was gone.

In any case, I’ll say it: Learning loss, much like shit, happens. So, we’ve spent the better part of the last two days recalling recall, in “intervention” as we might call it in a deficit-based elementary school triage system.

Back to basics for Cedar pup.

There’s lots not to be happy about here: her testing me, her balking causing me to repeat the command COME, her running past me when she does return. I know I’m supposed to run away to beckon her to come to me when she stalls or runs past me. I know I could put her back on a long lead and practice (that is dumb because she comes every time). I know I’m not supposed to use aversives. (Sorry about that, kid, but you’re pushing me.) I know I *could* fold and start retraining with treats. Bears will soon be emerging, and if I can’t overcome the distraction of dog biscuits or random scents, we might have an issue or two.

For now I’ll try to switch my deficit-based thinking to asset-based thinking. She’s apparently very good at forgetting things. Maybe that will apply to her grudge and her new attitude, too. Meanwhile, it’s time to get curious about what she DID learn while I was gone, other than how to enact the doggy middle finger.