ASVAB position statement and the “Good Dog Collar” recommended by the Monks.

Dang it. It’s true. The behaviorists at the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior, instead of using their precious resources to con more vets to move to Juneau, have come out with this Zero Tolerance position paper. There is absolutely no role for “aversive” techniques in dog training. While I’m certainly monitoring my YN ratio, I’m going to plant my feet in the slush and practice some somewhat civil disobedience.

I double checked the article this morning… “Did I really read that right?,” I wondered after a day of “meh” responses to simple COME commands, and after a morning walk with a whole lotta pulling and a whole lotta three-step corrections. An angsty little neighborhood waltz. I was mulling pulling out the “good dog” collar.

When the going gets mushy, I occasionally need a dose of Wolters’ common sense. From Water Dog:

“Teach HEEL on a leash and choke collar. Hold him in tight, command HEEL, slap your leg with your hand. Keep repeating the command. If he wants to be out front like the bandleader…yank. Pull him back, command HEEL… If he insists on getting in your way, give no quarter: bump him out of the way. Let him learn to walk on his feet, not yours; he’s got four, you’ve got only two…Once he knows what to expect, then get tough on him.”

richard wolters, water dog, 1964

I haven’t started on HEEL yet, but Wolters helps me reload just a bit. (And I’ve majorly disarmed myself by trying to avoid training with treats. There is some evidence, dear fam, that she does NOT live to please me. My one exception to the treats–a test case–is using ice cubes to bribe DOWN. She’s getting there, but I have no idea how to get her out of the short term reward phase.) The vets’ study points to the dangers of creating anxiety in pets through aversive feedback. I get it, and think I’ll know how to watch for it.

Wolters again, on COME.

“He’s got to understand that you must be obeyed immediately. Not tomorrow, not next week, but right now…. By the time he’s about 15 weeks old, he should come any time he’s called.”

Uh oh.

So… feet firmly in the slush, I say this oh ye hallowed vets. I’ll reward. I’ll praise. I’ll keep those cortisol levels down, I hope. I may even give in and carry treats.

But I’ll also know that look that says, “Yeah no.” (Did I get that right, Katie?) And… sorry dear Cedar, there will be an occasional aversive.

Wish me luck. It’s a good thing she’s cute.