Apply today – these postings expire on November 30, 2019
The Ocean Mammal Institute is hiring two interns! Learn more and apply on Handshake!
Hawaiian Humpback Whale Field Research Internship
Get out into nature in beautiful Maui and learn how to conduct field research on humpback whales. Research the impact of boats on these magnificent mammals and how boats change whale habitat and behavior. The reading material covers whale behavior, how humans affect that and all environmental issues around the oceans. Additionally, we look at other human impacts on the oceans and how human psychology affects the decisions we make about the environment. Learn how we can create meaningful change and raise consciousness about environmental issues.
An OMI research intern is expected to do the following:
- Study the biology and behavior of humpback whales while you observe and record their spectacular behaviors.
- Learn and apply the principles of field research design.
- Gain a personal understanding of the politics of protecting endangered species
- Learn about current research on whales and dolphins around the world and related conservation issues.
- Be introduced to the field of Ecopsychology, which studies the relationship between humans and the natural world.
- Learn how we can create meaningful change and raise the consciousness about environmental issues.