If you’re considering a career in medicine, working as a medical scribe is a great way to familiarize yourself with patient care. Medical scribes work directly with physicians, primarily focused on charting patient encounters in the electronic medical record (EMR). It may seem like an UN-sexy job, but consider this:
- You will be shadowing a physician! Finding a shadowing opportunity can often be a challenge, so this is a great way to get your foot in the door.
- You will be learning a lot about medicine, using the EMR, and as you listen for the signs and symptoms that help the physician come to a diagnosis, you will begin to anticipate what some of these diagnoses might be.
- You will be learning medical language.
- You will have first-hand lessons on how a physician works with patients and can see how trust is developed.
- Most importantly, you will get to listen to the patients.
- What’s more, scribe positions can be full or part time, making it a the perfect job choice for a student.
With all of this in mind, consider a job as a medical scribe.
Learn how to scribe: