The AMCAS website is very helpful. In the same menu, under AMCAS Resources, the instruction manual provides details and examples for completing various sections. Please read this manual! We realize that this “primary” application is a long and tedious process; however, most answers are available through AMCAS. Please take time to become familiar with the site and instructions before you begin the application, and before contacting our office with questions.
AMCAS GPA & BCPM Calculator:
Professional and graduate schools, and the application services they use, expect you to report all attempted classes as part of your overall GPA calculation. Please refer to the “course work” sections of the instruction manuals for how to accurately compute your Math-Science or Science GPA and overall GPA based on your professional goals.
- Click here to see what is considered BCPM Coursework.
- AMCAS Course Classification Guide
- Once your primary application has been received by AMCAS, they will begin the application verification process. During the verification process, AMCAS converts most standard undergraduate transcript grades to AMCAS grades based on conversion information provided by colleges and universities. The AMCAS GPA provides medical schools with a standard way to compare each applicant’s academic record. AMCAS GPAs may differ from the GPA shown on your records at the institutions you have attended. The following tool will help guide you to estimate your AMCAS grade point average.
What is in the Committee Letter?
Your committee letter will be compiled and uploaded to AMCAS and Interfolio as soon as it is ready. We will bundle recommendations and the committee letter for you. Click here to see what the committee letter will include.
Our office will upload the committee letter directly to AMCAS for you, but if you prefer to purchase the Interfolio Dossier Service and upload it yourself:
How do I use Interfolio to deliver the committee letter to AMCAS?
Before starting a delivery to AMCAS, you will need:
- Your AAMC ID (found in your AMCAS application). Before you start a new delivery to AMCAS, be sure to save your AAMC ID in your Interfolio Account Settings. For help adding your IDs, check out the article How Do I Add ID Numbers to My Deliveries?
- A 7-digit AMCAS Letter ID (provided through the application) for each unique letter you’re sending to AMCAS.
- You’ll need to match each unique letter ID to its corresponding letter during the delivery creation process.
- Follow the instructions from Interfolio here.
Back to Application Timeline.
The TMDSAS website is very helpful. Please read the application instructions! We realize that this is a long and tedious process; however, most answers are available through TMDSAS. Please take time to become familiar with the site and instructions before you begin the application, and before contacting our office with questions.
TMDSAS GPA & BCPM Calculator:
(Text below is from the TMDSAS FAQ section of their website.)
The Texas Coordinating Board for Higher Education determines the procedures for calculating the GPA for students seeking admission to a graduate or professional school in the state of Texas. All institutions must follow these guidelines. The guidelines are as follows:
- Only official transcripts from accredited institutions of higher education shall be accepted by the graduate and professional schools of an institution of higher education for evaluation and grade-point calculation.
- All academic work undertaken and grades or symbols assigned at each institution shall be reflected on the student’s official transcript(s). No student’s grade may be expunged from his or her record.
- All grades assigned for academic course work shall be used in calculating the grade-point average.
- A four-point scale shall be used in computing the grade point average (e.g.: A, 4 points per semester hour; B, 3.0; C, 2.0; D, 1.0; F, 0.0).
- A grade or symbol indicating failure (i.e.: F, WF, NC, or in a pass/fail system, FL equals F) shall count as hours undertaken, but no grade points shall be earned.
- Excluded from the grade-point average shall be any credit by examination (CR); Quit (Q); Withdrew (W); Withdrew Passing (WP); Incomplete (I or X); and a pass grade within a pass/fail system.
- The grade-point average shall be computed by multiplying each grade point (see paragraph (4) and (5) of this subsection) by the semester or quarter credit hours earned per course and totaling the products. The semester or quarter hours of courses undertaken shall then be totaled. The total of the products shall be divided by the total semester or quarter hours. The result is to be calculated to the hundredth place, giving the official cumulative grade-point average.
- Academic work at foreign colleges, universities, or preparatory schools shall be excluded from the calculation. In such cases, the grade-point average and credit shall be evaluated and computed as determined by the graduate or professional school to which the student is applying.
TMDSAS calculates multiple GPA’s for an applicant – overall GPA, overall BCPM GPA, overall undergraduate GPA,undergraduate BCPM GPA, undergraduate non-BCPM GPA, overall graduate GPA, graduate BCPM GPA and graduate non-BCPM GPA.
The undergraduate BCPM GPA includes all undergraduate level biology, chemistry, physics and math course work. Included in the BCPM GPA are courses which satisfy the prerequisite course work (excluding English).
Requesting the TMDSAS Committee Letter:
Once your file is complete, it will signal us to put your file into the letter-writing queue, chronologically by when we hear from applicants. A complete file consists of:
- Submitting your TMDSAS Application and email us once it is complete.
- Providing us with a PDF of your online application.
- Ensuring all Letters of Recommendation are updated in Interfolio (if you went through committee in a previous year or are re-applying) and all letters you want included in the committee letter are in.
- Sending us Unofficial Transcripts of all coursework taken elsewhere: please send them to us electronically.
- Signing the Committee-Letter Release form [will be page 1 of your committee letter], which you will have signed when you had your Health Professions Committee interviews.
- Sending us the TMDSAS Application ID Number. We will need this number to complete your committee letter.
- On your application you will list the Health Professions Committee Packet as your one letter that schools should expect to receive. List Mary Lothrop as the committee letter author, and indicate which of the medical schools to which you are applying should receive the committee letter (typically all of them).
Our office will upload the committee letter directly to TMDSAS for you, but if you prefer to purchase the Interfolio Dossier Service and upload it yourself:
Uploading your Committee Letter to TMDSAS:
- Enter the committee letter once in the TMDSAS application.
- Create a new delivery in Interfolio.
- In Interfolio click Select Deliveries and TMDSAS as your designation.
- Select the Health Professions Committee Packet.
- Enter the TMDSAS ID.
- Complete the delivery.
Back to Application Timeline.