Remembering Bob Prasch

From Ellen Oxfeld

I can’t imagine that Bob was not everybody’s favorite colleague!  He was so warm, funny, great story teller, and humorous.  At the same time, he was also the one, in his approachable yet brilliant way, who could most aptly dissect and eviscerate the arguments and orthodoxies that benefitted the powerful.   Because of his combination of entertainment, warmth, brilliance, and also compassion for the underdog, he was my “go to” recommendation whenever a student advisee came into my office looking for a fourth class.  They usually had not yet heard about “Professor Prasch,” so I would say something like, “why don’t you take Professor Prasch’s course on [whatever the topic was] and you will really enjoy it and he will give you a totally different idea about economics!”  They never regretted the recommendation.

I can’t believe I will not run into Bob in the library or some other place again and have a wonderful conversation ranging from the state of the world to Middlebury.  It is a terrible loss that we all feel.  Bob was just a magnificent and marvelous person.