Did you know that Bernie Sanders…
- was the first independent to be elected to the House of Representatives in 40 years?
- while he was in Congress, wrote a letter directly to President Obama to ask him to raise taxes without going through the Congress?
- released a Folk album called “We Shall Overcome” in 1987 with Thirty Vermont Artists?
- has a Bernie Sanders-themed arcade video game for his 2006 campaign for Senate election?
Players pilot a small Sanders character as he flies a plane (fueled with environmentally friendly hydrogen, of course) against a series of obstacles, including the “extreme right wing,” “big money special interests,” “mudslingers,” and, most dangerously, “fat cats.” The “fat cats” are symbolized by actual top-hat-wearing kitties that fling themselves at Sanders’ plane.
—“There’s a vintage Bernie Sanders computer game where you battle the ‘extreme right wing'” on Business Insider
- “filibustered” for eight hours straight in December 2010?
- is the 2015 winner of the online readers’ poll of TIME Person of the Year. Scoring a little over 10% of the votes, Sanders leads the runner-up Malala Yousafzai by about 5%. Despite the popular win, Sanders is NOT included in the short list for 2015 TIME Person of the Year. Instead, TIME has picked Donald Trump as a part of the 8-person shortlist.