Important Benefits Reminders
Trouble-free employee benefit plan administration requires a strong partnership between employees and Human Resources. The Human Resources Department works diligently each year-end to accurately process the thousands of required or requested benefit record changes and then to check and double-check our work. However, in the end, we also must rely on you, the employee, to do your part in managing your benefits by confirming that you are enrolled in the benefits you intended to elect. Please carefully review your first paycheck and let us know if you have questions or if anything seems amiss.
- If you made a change to who is covered under your medical or dental plan, your new ID cards should reflect those changes. If your new ID cards do not list the correct family members please contact Nancy Lindberg x3372 or Franklin Daniel x5755.
- As was announced in October, there was a modest increase in employee portion of the medical premiums for 2016. Premium increase amounts vary by coverage and income level. In addition, the out-of-pocket maximum for the prescription plan increased from $500 to $600, but other plan design features remain stable, meaning that there will be no increase in employee cost-sharing through changes in deductibles, co-insurance, the medical out-of-pocket maximum, prescription co-pays etc. Also, any employee who made coverage level (single/2 person/family) changes should see a premium change in the first paycheck of 2016.
- The employee Dental Plan premiums did not increase for 2016. However, any employee who made coverage level (single/2-person/family) changes should see a premium change in the first paycheck for 2016.
- As a reminder our vision plan is with Vision Service Plan (VSP). No ID card is required (just tell your VSP provider the last 4 digits of your SSN and date of birth). A summary of the plan and other helpful information is available on-line at http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/business/hr/staffandfaculty/benefits/vision. The premium for the Vision Plan did not increase for 2016 and the plan design will remain the same, except that the in-network allowance for frames or elective contact lenses was enhanced from $130 to $150.
Voluntary Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Premiums changes related to a change in coverage amount or age-band changes (5 year increments) should be reflected in the first paycheck in 2016. If you made changes or you hit a new age band in 2015, please confirm that your premium changed.
- Requests for new life coverage or for increases in life coverage over the guarantee issue amount are not effective until approved by UNUM. An Evidence of Insurability form must be submitted by you to UNUM if you have requested this type of change. UNUM will notify you directly of approval or denial. Any premium changes will be made as of the effective date of the approved coverage.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- Elections in Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts for 2016 should be reflected in the first paycheck. Please review your pay stub and confirm that your contribution is correct (divide your total annual election by 26 to calculate your per pay-period election.)
- If you are a new Flexible Spending Account plan participant (you were not enrolled in a FSA last year) then FSA Benefits Cards were mailed to your home address in mid-December. If you had a FSA last year you will not be issued a new card as they are valid for 3 years. If your card is three years old, it will be good through January 31st and a new card will be issued by mid-January. The Benefits Card can be used to access funds in your Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account. Important information about the FSA Benefits Card is available at http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/business/hr/staffandfaculty/benefits/flex.
- You have until March 15, 2016 to file claims against your 2015 Flexible Spending Accounts for expenses incurred in 2015. The FSA claim form and other helpful information on Flexible Spending Accounts can be found at http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/business/hr/staffandfaculty/benefits/flex. Please visit CBA Blue’s website at http://select.cbabluevt.com/middlebury/ to review your account information.
- If you submitted forms prior to the holiday break requesting changes to your Voluntary Retirement Plan or to enroll in the 457b Salary Deferral Supplemental Retirement Plan, your new elections should have been reflected in your first paycheck of 2016. If you requested changes please confirm that your elections are as expected.
If you have made a change to who is covered on your medical or dental plan and you have not received your new ID card(s), or if a benefit deduction doesn’t look right to you, or if you have any other questions or concerns about your benefits, please contact Franklin Daniel at x5755.
Your Benefits Team
Nancy Lindberg, Benefits Specialist (Health/Dental/Vision/Flex Spending) x3372
Franklin Daniel, Benefits Specialist (Retirement Plans & Retiree and Active Medical/Dental/Vision) x5755
Cheryl Mullins, Acting AVP of Human Resources x5542