Week 11 Day 1 Discussion Question 4

Mirren Gidda’s report on the spike in hate crimes and other racist incidents following Election Day underscores the racism, xenophobia, and Islamophobia that infused the Trump campaign. The Black Lives Matter statement on Trump’s election contains the following passage:

But we ask ourselves—how do we reconcile our vision for future generations’ prosperity with the knowledge that more than half of white voting Americans believe a white supremacist can and should decide what’s best for this country?

We organize.

Here’s what we know: Civic engagement is one way to engage democracy, and our lives don’t revolve around election cycles. We are obliged to earn the trust of future generations—to defend economic, social and political power for all people. We are confident that we have the commitment, the people power and the vision to organize our country into a safe place for black people—one that leads with inclusivity and a commitment to justice, not intimidation and fear.

I am struck by the observation that “Civic engagement is one way to engage democracy, and our lives don’t revolve around election cycles.”  In my view, this is an important point, and ideally, we would all become more civically engaged in the intervals between national elections. Increased incidents of racial intolerance and violence, in particular, compel our civic engagement.  What do you think?

7 thoughts on “Week 11 Day 1 Discussion Question 4

1. Holly Allen

I am posting this comment for Chris Taylor:

I completely agree with Gidda’s statement that civic engagement is one way to engage democracy. On the other hand, I don’t disagree with her statement that our lives revolve around election cycles, but I also believe that elections greatly influence our political lives and views and how/what we are involved in civic engagement. Especially with the result of the past election, many people are frustrated and angry about the results, so their way for them to have their voices heard is through civic engagement. The one aspect about Gidda’s statement that I find a bit counter intuitive and contradictory is how she applies the word democracy, in terms of this past election. I completely agree that civic engagement is one way to take advantage of democracy and the rights that democracy has given us, but to use civic engagement against the presidential election does not make much sense. I don’t think it is productive to use the right (civic engagement) that this democracy has given you to protest the literal epitome of what a democracy is. I understand why people are angry and want their voices to be heard but to protest against democracy in a sense still has me a little confused. To protest against some of the issues that Trump stands for is absolutely useful and necessary but to protest the result of the election is a bit absurd to me.

2. Greta Hulleberg

“Civic engagement is one way to engage democracy, and our lives don’t revolve around election cycles.”
    I absolutely agree that this statement makes an important point about our responsibilities as citizens of the United States. While elections are certainly a good time to be politically active and civically engaged they are not the only time to be. During election a change is imminently possible so by being vocal and standing up for what we need and desire, and then enacting our right to vote upon those desires, it is possible to affect a change in our favor. However, “our lives don’t revolve around elections cycles,” and there is more to be done then simply casting a vote.

It is easy for many to sit back and let the government steer our country, only contributing when it comes time to vote.
    Only those who feel most unserved by the governments direction are continually vocal and active. Even though the affects of the policies, laws, reforms and actions that the government enacts are not direct upon all of us, we are no less obliged to be involved. It is our responsibility to be engaged, and hold our politicians and government accountable for their promises, and for representing us as a democracy.

The results of this election have made it clear that now is no time to be complacent. Just because Donald Trump won the election does not mean that we are bound for the country he seems to represent. There is more that we can, and need to do than just hope for the best. The better reactions that I have seen or heard from people about the election all reference this idea of it being everyones need to take action. To continue to stand up for our needs and the needs of those around us, and to work together to heal the divide in our country. As a democracy we are supposed to elect representatives who will make the big decisions and take our country in the direction we want it to go. But we also have to continually remind them of what that direction is, and hold them accountable for leading us in that way.

3. Matthew Doherty

Civic engagement is one of the most crucial aspects of democracy. It is critical for Americans over the next four years to decide what kind of a country we wants to live in; our identity as a nation is a vulnerable as it ever has been with waves of polarization continuing election cycle after election cycle. However, to simply decide what kind of country we want to live in is not enough on an individual basis. We must decide, but we must also engage. The only way to bring about actual change will be to constantly engage in the issues that matter most to the identity of America. Although it is easiest to be involved during election cycles because it provides a platform to voice opinion, the people we vote for represent only what the constituency stands for.

I would argue that although elections highlight the ongoing issues America faces, the only way to bring about actual change is upheaving the general atmosphere of the public sphere with constant civic engagement. The government policy of elected officials comes from the constituency the represent and their best interests. With that in mind, the policymaker will institute laws that will get them reelected by the people. Thus, it is necessary to change the attitudes of the people before changing government policy. The only way to change people’s attitudes is by constant civic engagement.

4. Eli Wolfgang

I wholeheartedly agree with the concept that civic engagement should increase, and that our lives need not revolve around election cycles. To me, this is especially important in terms of all types of elected office, from the President all the way down to state legislature, to town council. It is truly a problem in our country that the vast majority of the population know very little about there elected officials beyond the President and other top positions. Many do not even know their representatives in the House, let alone their state and town representatives. This perpetuates a system in which the democratic and republican parties can continue to pursue their own ulterior motives without feeling pressure to be re-elected by the people because there is largely a lack of interest in understanding the candidates and their policies. Beyond that, getting involved in between elections is just as important. Knowing what your representatives voted for or supported and then raising awareness/contacting them if it is a decision that you disagree with is very important in terms of civic engagement. Without a combination of these two things, politicians feel like they can act with impunity because their decisions mostly have little impact on the collective psyche of their constituents.

Civic engagement comes in many different forms. It is not a narrow definition and involves a great many actions that work to “identify and address issues of public concern”. One part that I find particularly interesting is the way that civic engagement has evolved with the development of technology and social media. It has now become so much easier to sign petitions, organize protests, and distribute materials. It has expedited the process of organization which, along with the many benefits, does have a few drawbacks. For one, there are many people who may share the same sentiments and will “share” on Facebook, or re-tweet on twitter materials that they deem important. Unfortunately, this digital act has very little impact compared to the other, more active processes of civic engagement (such as contacting an elected official or participating in a protest). However, a significant number of people feel satisfied by the act of “sharing”, and thus feel as if they have done their part. Although it is a good start, the impact of a “share” is proportionally minuscule compared to the other forms of civic engagement. Social media has provided people with a convenient way to stay “civically engaged” with the click of a button which unfortunately has the result of decreasing other more impactful actions.

5. Clark Lewis

I also found the line “our lives don’t revolve around election cycles” particularly intriguing. I think it is reflective of how many people have reacted to the election results in the past couple of weeks. One frustration I, and I believe many other disadvantaged groups, have is that these results and sentiments are not shocking or new. Many people were shocked that our country could elect a candidate that promoted so much hate within the country. However, I found the results of the election far from shocking and, if anything, more of a confirmation of sentiments that have always been present but only visible to those negatively affected by them. Unarmed black individuals have been murdered in the streets of America for years now, immigrants have been subject to deportation for years now and the LGBTQ community, muslims and other disadvantaged and villainized groups have suffered from discriminatory laws for quite some time. These groups have been at odds with this country. The results of the election were not shocking for these groups who have been living in this America, they were just a wake up call for those privileged enough to not be affected. To say that “our lives don’t revolve around election cycles” is a statement showing that these problems have existed before this election cycle made it a national conversation and news headline.

Furthermore, I think the line is extremely meaningful in that it is a call for Americans to continue efforts for change. I think it encourages people who currently find themselves shocked, angry and disgusted to hold on to those sentiments and harness them for productive actions for change. The statement calls for individuals to understand that the fight for equality started before this election sensationalized it and needs to continue even after the next four years. The line “civic engagement is one way to engage democracy” encourages people to utilize their time between elections and voting to explore other avenues of social change. I think that statement is tries to help those in shocked realize that there has been an established campaign against hate that will continue as well as urge them to get involved beyond their votes for political offices.

6. Allison Hooley

I too am struck by the idea from the Black Lives Matter statement that, “Civic engagement is one way to engage democracy, and our lives don’t revolve around election cycles.” This election has taught me much about the way politics effect our daily lives, and it is especially key in terms of the Black Lives Matter movement. Since the establishment of the Black Lives Matter movement in 2012, we have witnessed the power behind civic engagement, through physical actions such as protests, as well as written and verbal statements. The combination of physical and verbal actions have proven effective in the success the Black Lives Matter campaign in bringing the pressing topic of racial equality to our country’s attention.

The election of Trump is undoubtedly a set-back not only for the Black Lives Matter movement, but for all minority groups across our country. Now more than ever our country needs to come together and fight for what is just. I wholeheartedly agree with the Black Lives Matter statement above, in that in order to achieve this justice, we must continue to fight between election cycles. What happens in these next four years is unwritten, and we as American citizens have the democratic power to help drive what ensues. Now is not the time to sit back and wait for the next President to help us reach our goals; we must be accountable and join together to change things now. We don’t have time to wait.

1. Jackson Watson

Over the last few years, we have seen more and more civic engagement as groups across the country are protesting the faults in our society that keep reoccurring. The protests in Ferguson and Baltimore are just a couple of examples of this civic engagement. I think that this election will only increase the participation of citizens in civic engagement because so many people oppose our president-elect. The election of Trump is viewed as a huge set-back for minorities in our country and groups such as Black Lives Matter that fight for these minorities.

I fully support the idea that people need to be more involved in the years between national elections because it can help to put pressure on policy makers to make the right decisions. Without civic engagement, government officials feel limited pressure to help those who are at risk. However, if protests and other forms of engagement get national attention, then it becomes much harder for the government to ignore the groups that are protesting. These next four years are a pivotal time for or society, and we can help shape these years if we stay involved. We need to make our voices heard, and if we think that certain groups are being targeted or underrepresented, we need to do something about it. This something is civic engagement.