Papa’s Email

I shared this project with my family, and this is what my father sent in response:

“Hi Jo,

We have a writer among us! I am impressed by your writing and literary skills.  I like the way you have interacted with the South Asian Authors, namely, Jhumpa Lahiri, Rushdie etc. I am doing my best reading of books these days, especially books that are outside of my calling, work and interest. I must improve my reading ability, maybe I will keep reading your blog as you seem to succinctly capture the essence of many books.
      Thank you for prodding me to keep reading, don’t give up, it is doing a whole lot of good. I, am nearly finishing the book, ” A Fine Balance” by Rohinton Mistry.  It brought back a lot of memories during my time in 70’s 80’s in India, especially growing up in a home where both my mom and dad were working for the government in a medical field.  I was aware of those, “family planning operations”. I was also reminded of a soap called “Cinthol” which was a family soap we all used to take our showers. Many still use it to this day.
      Certainly reading books written by South Asian Indian authors about the life in India keeps me and us in touch with our roots.  Keep exploring; keep up your writing skills.
Much Love,
Papa”