Feed on
Posts
Comments

Facilities


Facilities tend to be important in establishing a framework for athletic success. This cannot be any more true at Middlebury College. Skiing facilities have changed significantly over the years, but the original training ground for the ski teams was Chipman Hill which was first used in 1923. Between the years 1934 and 1936, however, improvements were made to Chipman Hill and a new ski jump was constructed. In 1938, the new Breadloaf Snow Bowl opened and claimed the slalom and downhill events; meanwhile, Chipman Hill was still used for the jumping events. Since the Breadloaf Snow Bowl was far away, people needed to be transported in open trucks that would take an hour to reach the mountain.

_

_

While spectators were watching ski jumping, distances were announced over a public address system, and flashcards were used to show the judges’ form-evaluation of each jumper. There was also a giant scoreboard and timing clock that showed the progress of individuals and teams. The development of the facilities for the ski teams was instrumental in developing a pair of sports teams that has had a strong presence in the NCAA since its start in the early 1920s.

_

_

For a complete timeline of the development of Middlebury’s skiing facilities used during Winter Carnival, please see the following link, which was created by Cassie Coash.

http://sites.middlebury.edu/skiprogramhistory/development-of-facilities-2/

_

_

Please refer to the website on the evolution of the athletic facilities for more information about the venues used during Winter Carnival. http://sites.middlebury.edu/athleticfacilities/

_

 

*To learn more about the various cultural and social events featured during Middlebury’s Winter Carnival, please click here.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.