Kelsey Hoekstra ’17

Hometown: Newton Square, PA

High School: 

Major/Minor: Mathematics and Biology

E-mail: khoekstra@middlebury.edu

Activities: On campus I am a lifeguard, math grader, sports writer for the Campus, tour guide, and I try to go to as many athletic events as I can

What is your favorite non-academic activity?

I love going to Middlebury games! I try to go to as many Midd sporting events as possible. It’s fun because our teams are great, and I know at least one person on each team.

What is the number one thing on your Middlebury Bucket List?

Picking a number one thing is hard! I still haven’t been to Vergennes Laundry for brunch, which is a must-do. I also want to explore as many swimming holes and mountains as possible.

Where is the best view on campus?

The Bihall roof has some unbelievable views of campus and the mountains. If you ever get the chance to go up there with a class or activity, take it!

What is your quest?

My quest is to read as many books and learn as many facts as I can.

Where is your favorite place to hang out with friends?

I love catching up with a friend over a meal or hanging out with friends in rooms and common rooms. Last year some of my friends lived in a house on campus and it was great to have that space to watch tv and talk with friends.

What do you struggle with?

When school gets busy it’s very easy to withdraw from people and focus on my studies. I’ve found that reaching out to friends helps me manage busy school weeks more effectively, but I struggle with remembering to take meaningful breaks and relax.

Why college? Why Middlebury?

Growing up, I always assumed I would go to college, just where I would go was a different question. I originally gravitated toward many schools with popular names, but in my junior year I spent a semester at High Mountain Institute. While there I realized I wanted to go to a small school where I could get to know my peers and professors.  I also learned that I wanted a more rural environment, not a city. After completely restarting my college search, I decided that the social and academic atmosphere at Middlebury was just what I was looking for.

One piece of advice you would give prospective students in the admissions process?

Make sure your college search is about you! So many people will have advice and input as to where you should go, but at the end of the day you will be the one attending the school, not them. Make sure the school is one where you can succeed and be happy. Also relax!! This is such a fun and exciting time. Enjoy it!

What would you be reincarnated as in your next life?

A dog. The life of a dog seems pretty nice. My dog doesn’t do much other than sleep, eat and go for walks, and I could get behind that kind of life.

You must be logged in to post a comment.